1. seratone

seratone New Member

Two Book or One?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by seratone, Jan 10, 2012.

I am currently writing an autobiography/memoirs and I’m having difficulty mapping it out. I had a very rough childhood, I lived in abusive home up to the age of 16, at which time I was taken by social services, but due to my age I was not put in a foster home, I was basically abandoned, long story short i suffered depression and it was not a good time.
    So im trying to write a book about it and I’m having issues because I feel like it is all one story, both before and after I was taken away. However, I feel that to give the correct weigh to stuff that happened when I was 16 fits very badly in the middle of a book, like its going up and down too much.
    Should I just give in and split the story into two or is there any other way I can structure it that makes it feel less roller-coaster-y

2. Anarchist_Apple84

Anarchist_Apple84 Senior Member

The autobiography should be an accurate description, so if you had a tough point and things got better later, there's no need to separate them.
    Life is a rollercoaster, if you'll excuse the cliche, we all go through good times and bad and they never wait til its convenient for us!

3. joanna

joanna Active Member

I agree; just write it chronologically and the reader will understand. If you want to make any changes, you'll have a better idea of what they should be after you've finished writing.

Very brave of you to write your story. Good luck.

4. Thom

Thom Member

I also agree. This isn't fiction and doesn't need to be tailored. Write it out as it all happened and trust in that.

5. Anarchist_Apple84

Anarchist_Apple84 Senior Member

This. I could never write an autobiography. Firstly, it wouldn't be that interesting. Secondly, I like being an enigma! lol

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

all good advice... take it!

unless you're a celebrity, it's highly unlikely that anyone would publish or buy two books, anyway...

7. seratone

seratone New Member

Thanks for all the advice. Ill do my best to put it into one book.