1. Hermanberntzen

Hermanberntzen New Member

Mermaid

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Hermanberntzen, Aug 10, 2011.

Is it too look a like Disney if i make a story with a guy who meet's a Mermaid?
    Not in the same texture of course, i doesn't need to be a Mermaid neither , but something of the sea's.
    This was just a pure example.

2. mattrjones

mattrjones New Member

Nope, there have been stories of men meeting mermaids for as long as ships have sailed the seas, and if you're going for a different "texture," I doubt there'll be Little Mermaid comparisons. Especially if it'll be another creature of the sea instead of a mermaid. You're all good!

I personally think a more sinister "man meets mermaid" tale would be cool... especially with a dash of Lovecraft.

3. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Disney didn't create the story - they just made a film based on it and I don't believe they were the only people to do so - so no.

4. Hermanberntzen

Hermanberntzen New Member

I know, They Didn't create Tarzan , Alice in Wonderland , Cinderella , Sleeping Beauty none of them but it's easier to get people to understand what i mean if i say Disney , then they have heard of it.
    And i like Disney interpretation of the tales though ..
    I didn't think much of an mermaid but more of an nymph , not fish body but snake.
    In greek Mytholigy they was considered as rather very beautiful.
    The tail is gonna unfolding of a love triangle , beetween the nymph , Lawrence Luxemburg that the main character is named and Laura an other human being. Laura is the girl name for my name , Lars.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

6. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

Mermaids are things of legends.

Some lore makes them evil creatures to lure sailors to their watery grave.

Thousands of tales were told/written before the writers at Disney stepped in.

7. Rassidan

Rassidan New Member

Well first off I would start to think very hard on whether you actually want a mermaid or something more like a siren. This in itself will determine the flow and style of the story. Good luck trying to develop the story further.

8. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Let me tell you now, almost everything Disney makes wasn't originally theirs. The Princess and the Frog, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella... all based on folklore. Now movies like Bolt and Meet the Robinsons i believe were entirely new.

9. Rassidan

Rassidan New Member

Couldn't say bolt is a mix of your many superpowered dogs and the truman show.

10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Like others have said, meremaids have been talked about and written about for centuries. They're like ninjas, so to speak. Stories written about mermaids and ninjas are common the world over.

As long as your mermaid is your own, and isn't a red-headed girl named Ariel who sings Under the Sea with a crab and a flounder who's named after his own race, you're cool. ;) :p

11. jxb911

jxb911 Member

In my story it starts with the mermaid Queen asking a human couple to take care of her young daughter before she's found and killed by a evil mermaid. By the end she's a young adult and dies after she defeat the evil mermaid.

12. jxb911

jxb911 Member

One mermaid, in my story, becomes evil once it gets his hands on an ancient relic that was forgotten over time

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  13. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor