?

What's the scariest part of writing a novel?

1. Reading a book in your genre and being secretly terrified that it's going to turn out like yours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fear of offending subject matter experts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Grammar-ing

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Copyright and plagiarism issues

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Writing a novel, period

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Kara Gatsby

Kara Gatsby Member

Howdy.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kara Gatsby, Sep 22, 2016.

I'm Kara. Pleased to meet you.

Ten years of copywriting and technical writing and business writing and now . . . it's time to do some creative writing. I'm especially interested in--and terrified of--writing historical fiction.

Can't wait to get started!

2. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

... I'm not a writer, not by any stretch of the imagination. I am however an artist whose work has a historical feel, particularly Napoleonic Era / Victorian Europe.
    I do have some writing chops, but lack the same love for it that the rest of you must have. I recently joined the forum in hopes of finding someone to collaborate with on a fantasy story that has a convincing historical foundation, circa 1790 Paris.
    If you're so inclined, PM me and we can exchange some story ideas! I do have what I believe is a rather innovative story set in a place not unlike the Paris of 1790, on the cusp of the Industrial Age, and on the eve of Revolution. I'd like to get some feedback, and by all means tell me what ideas you're entertaining.
    And glad to meet you too, welcome to the forum!

To wet your appetite, some illustrations for the story I've got rattling around my head...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kara Gatsby and SethLoki like this.
  3. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Howdy Kara! I also love historical fiction! Mine is often melded with fantasy, though. What time period are you looking into?
    I hope you have fun!

@Iain Sparrow ...did you draw them? If not where did you get them from? They're amazing!

4. karldots92

karldots92 Active Member

Welcome to the forum Kara. I've been toying with the idea of writing some historical fiction myself

5. Kara Gatsby

Kara Gatsby Member

These are gorgeous!

I'm working on a novel set (mostly) in the Golden Age of Hollywood, with some action set in the 1920s and 1970s. I've never written fiction before. It's terrifying.

It's been a real doozy so far, lots of research, but worth it. I've always been convinced that I was born in the wrong decade.