1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Check this plot, and HELP me with sumthing!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Marcelo, May 9, 2008.

I need help with something, but first some info :3

It takes place in a fictional world similar to mediaeval England (geographically and in customs), where one man out of forty-nine is an 'adept', a person with special magical abilities. These abilities are known as ether, and are divided into three different types: Offensive ether, defensive ether and special ether.

The capital of this fictional England is named Imperial City. Here, the only university focusing in the adepts' abilities, and a very prestigious one, resides. The university has exactly seven hundred seventy-seven students, ranging from 17 to 21 years.

The Imperial University of Arcane & Mundane arts (full name) is divided into three houses: One for the offensive ether adepts, one for the defensive ether ones and another for the special ether ones.

At this point, many of you may remember Harry Potter. However, it is different to Hogwarts. The Imperial University is not the main setting in my story, and the plot does not surrounds it.

Plot: The Seventh son of a Seventh son, HE (no name right now, just started developing this story today) lives with his uncle and cousin, and does not remembers his family. His cousin is a great adept, but HE doesn't have ether. He has resigned to the idea of being an adept, for no special hint of his ether has ever showed up. However, along with his cousin, he recieves an invitation to the Imperial University. There he discovers his great powers, and also learns about a dark cult who wants the Emperor overthrown. No one will believe him, except his cousin and new friends. (I love this kind of questions xD) WILL HE DISCOVER HIS ETHER BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE? DOES HE HAS WHAT IT TAKES?

Well, I do not know how to name the three houses, so please help! I don't want them to have a Gryffindor/ Ravenclaw/ Slytherin/ Hufflepuff ring to their names, so it's not easy for me.

Soo, I'll have to ask you and your interminable fountains of wisdom :D

2. Daniel W

Daniel W New Member

This does sound strangely familiar to the playstation 3 game "the elder scrolls iv: oblivion" where the main city is named imperial city, and the city also has a university named the arcane university.
    Also, there is a cult named the mythic dawn which are trying to destroy the empire by assassinating the emperor and his sons, and then they open up oblivion gates which allow monsters from another realm to enter into the world.
    But then, one hero (you) comes and saves the world. (I at least think he does, i haven't finished the game yet :S)

Anyway, even if you didn't copy from this, i'll try helping. Perhaps name the houses after past kings, or founders of imperial city, or after anyone significant like that.

3. DNC

DNC New Member

I think part of the problem here is that you are focussing on your fictional world rather than character. When you do talk about character, you have given your protagonist internal conflicts which reflect his situation rather than his inner self. My advice would be to return to creating a believable protagonist whose motivations are based on everyday desires that we can all understand. Metaphorically, you seem to be telling the story of the underdog whose talents are unrecognised. Think on this, how would this problem make him behave? What kind of a person would putting up with others' lack of belief make him? Has his life made your character angry? Despairing? Overly competitive? Remember that a flawed character is always more interesting. Also isolate key antagonists and find the dramatic conflict between them and the protagonist. If you get it right, the drives of the characters will inform the plot and not the other way around.

You obviously have a good imagination so you don't need to worry about being able to create the fictional setting - that should come naturally. Don't forget that no matter where your story is taking place, it is characters that interest readers every time.

4. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

A ragtag band of students that nobody places any faith in is going to save the world from an evil cult in a fantasy setting? Your main character comes from a line of powerful magicians, but he can't find his powers until he goes to school?

I think you might want to head back to the drawing boards on this one.

5. MumblingSage

MumblingSage New Member

My heart in on the shores of Gitchee-Gume, my body
    I think you can go ahead with this story, but be willing to change things. Start with names--give 'Imperial City' and 'Arcane University' real names, even if they wind up being 'Schwaddington' and 'Kistenbauer Memorial College'.

And I'd suggest you cut the 'house' ideas. I've seen other stories with magical universities (Patrick Rothfus's Name of the Wind, I think it was Jane Yolen's Magician's School), but the 'house' idea pretty much screams Hogwarts.

6. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

as I said before, I thought about the story a day ago. I have had no time to think properly about it, I'll repost about it after I have perfectioned the plot.