1. xDynamiquex

xDynamiquex New Member

Writing a christmas story for my grandma

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by xDynamiquex, Oct 18, 2011.

I am deciding to write a story for my grandma as a christmas present. She told me about how I wrote a story ages ago about a penny and the many experiences and adventures it had being spent and passed around. The trouble is neither of us can remember specific details. I have a basic plot - Grandma and granddaughter go christmas shopping, the child wants something that is 99p and the grandma gives her £1, she buys it and is given a penny as change. The grandaughter is very young and doesn't understand about money. Her grandma tells her that a penny is very lucky and she has to hold on to tight. Somehow (I don't know how!) she loses it and is upset. The penny has experiences and adventures (also don't know quite how to characterise and personify the coin, should it walk? talk?) and makes it back to her on christmas day, happy ending yadda, yadda

Help please?

I am a real newbie and have never written a proper story before, any help gratefully received :)

2. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

It sounds to me like you already got a good idea of what it is you want to write. What exactly do you need help with?

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

email me if you want help with this... as a grandmother of 19, who writes children's stories and books, i'd love to see you make your grams happy with a story that brings back happy memories of you as a child...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

4. xDynamiquex

xDynamiquex New Member

I don't know what the penny would do between the girl and finding her and also if the penny spoke would it be quite strange?

I see your point Show :redface: I didn't think about it like that, I'm just a perfectionist I guess and I have drawn a blank at the details. Maybe I'm in the wrong place and should go to character development :S

Sorry, I'm a complete newbie!

5. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

Well, whether or not the penny's talking would be strange depends on the audience. If this is just for your grandmother, it would be dependent on her tastes. If you want to write it for her and a larger audience as well, then you might wanna reconsider whether or not that's what you want.

As for what the penny can do, it would depend on how long you want your story. Other than that, the sky's really the limit. You can make it as sweet or shady as you want.

I understand being a perfectionist. It can be crazy. A solution may be to just write it for now and perfect it in revision. That way at least you have something to work with and you can let the perfectionist in you take over after you have a draft to refine it some.

6. xDynamiquex

xDynamiquex New Member

Thank you both, I need to get it down on paper so it doesn't go round and round in my head! :)

7. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

The penny could be found by someone, a child maybe, that needed it to make a certain amount to buy a special present for someone.

or

Believing it to be a 'lucky' penny, the child could be upset at its loss and the grandmother could place a substitute penny somewhere the child could 'find' it.