1. mozzy

mozzy New Member

Help on character progression....unsure if my ideas are good

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by mozzy, Jan 29, 2012.

Hey y'all...

So, I have a protagonist for my book...but he ain't the most colorful character in the world.His journey through the situation he's to endure is supposed to define his character, while love is supposed to allow for the change. In a nutshell (hopefully this isnt too cliche'd): Originally He's supposed to be a loner/nice person in a boring life who has longed for more. His life is mediocre: Lived in a suburban house. his parents were sort of antisocial and withdrawn (mother plays online poker, father watches nothing but sports and only sports). His sister is in prison (which is the only thing in his life far from ordinary...sees her as an inspiration at times). Goes to the local public school and barely meets his reqs. He's shy, and longs for a meaningful relationship with someone (to the point of having fantasies of a relationship that's equally dull).

By the end, he's a father of an illegitimate child who has fought battles no human has ever successfully dealt with, has had most of the people he's met dead or died with him, and fell in love to an amazing girl.

The 2nd protagonist (girl) is to be the initial opposite of him. She's a spoiled brat whose lived a life of luxury and excitement. She hated the concept of love as being something ordinary and fictional, She doesn't have much feelings for people in general, as more of a means to an end than anything else. Her parents were influential people, which is why she survived. At first, she's kind of an self-obsessed asshole that eventually becomes selfless and warm person with more than a few quirks. A lot happens on the way for her: love, getting almost killed a few times, raped, having a child)

My main question is if this is enough progression of character, and what kind of ways can I demonstrate said character progression that feels organic and compelling to the reader. Thanks!

2. MegTheLedge

MegTheLedge New Member

Look at it like this. If you as the writer view what you're writing as something you wouldn't want to read, it's not worth writing. If you feel compelled to read your own story based on your synopsis, it's worth it. Because chances are, you won't be the only person in the world that wants to read it.

I do like the premise. I could see myself reading something like this.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The word premise means "send before." It is, therefore, nothing more than a starting point.

Everything depends on where you take the story from there, and how.

4. twelveninetysix

twelveninetysix New Member

To be honest, I like these ideas. The guy especially seems sort of generic, but I thought the idea of him admiring his sister at times for doing something interesting (even if it's going to prison) is great. Anyway yeah, you seem to have a pretty solid plot planned out behind the scenes. Sometimes you need a distinctive character to carry the interest, but in some cases, it's enough to have a believable but fairly average character that people can relate to, who is changed by experiences. It makes it easier for the audience to feel empathy with them, so I wouldn't worry about that.