1. mattattack007

mattattack007 New Member

Might vs Magic

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by mattattack007, Mar 24, 2009.

A thought that i've always had is what if the world went to war with the supernatural world? Who would win? Some what of a cross between Harry Potter and The Terminator. But i can't start it off! There would be one main character and it would follow him though the war. Wh do you think?

2. A.J.Crowley

A.J.Crowley New Member

What like Voldemort sends back an invulnerable monster to assasinate harry Potter before he grows up and defeats him?

On a more serious note.

I was reading something the other day about how countries like America and Britain have highly powerful nukes ready to fire and destroy most of the known world in the event they ever lose a war. The idea being if they can't win no one else can either.

My theory, granted I just made this up, is that if we did go to war with a magical world they will probably win and in that case out greatest threat is nuclear annihilation from Earths sore loser governments, not slavery in some unknown world.

3. mattattack007

mattattack007 New Member

i see what you're getting at a.j, but the idea is that both side would have weapons to stop each side. Wizards: spells and Normals: spell piercing bullets. plus, we've been at "war" it Iraq for 9 years and not a nuke in the sky. So..maybe it could work?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I think you should write the story.

5. traffic101

traffic101 New Member

I think magic with modern-day twist is a very interesting concept. I think the sky is the limit for all the ideas you could come up with. I think you're on to something here...

6. Yitz

Yitz New Member

Jim Butcher does a phenomenal job of mixing the real world with magic.
    That includes brute force, firearms, muggers, vehicles, generic bad guys, et al.
    He brings in a lot of lore and legend that really mixes it up. I find his writing riveting, and as
    I mentioned in a past post a while back, Mr. Butcher and his Dresden character have robbed
    me of no less than 4 nights worth of sleep. That would be one per book...I read fast.
    If you even think you might want to mix magic and the real world, read Butcher's
    Dresden Files.
    First, you'll enjoy yourself, and second, you will get some fantastic ideas and application
    thereof.

7. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

Geez! Thanks for taking my idea, jerk!
    Just kidding. ;) I'm sure it's been done a million times.

Anyway, I think magic would win hands down. Why? Because no one in today's world understands how to practice magic except **gasp** magicians. So, basically, you'd be fighting an enemy who uses techniques you don't understand and know absolutely nothing about. Anyone here can probably fire a gun with marginal accuracy. With a day or two of training, you could probably aim a rocket launcher or other heavy weaponry and after a few weeks of training, you could drive a tank or work an artillery piece. Now, how many of you can cast a fireball or command lightning or use a healing spell? None? I didn't think so. Furthermore, our ignorance of such things would make it nigh impossible for us to stop the enemy. They know how to stop our tanks (blow the tracks off 'em); they know how to stop our airplanes (go for the wings or the engine); and they know how to stop our guns (bulletproof vest). It won't be as one-sided as I'm making it sound, but I don't see the modern world winning. I just don't. Unless one brave magician decides to divulge all the secrets and even the playing field a little.

just my $.02

8. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

You would need to put alot of restrictions on magic for it to be balanced in my opinion since one is normally bounded by physics while the other is not.

It would depend on how powerful the magic and the number of people on each side of course.