1. Inspired writer

Inspired writer New Member

Two possible settings... one solution

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Inspired writer, Jan 30, 2012.

Current project. I've got two settings to choose from;
    - A picturesque backdrop where the scenery contrasts against the bleak downwardly spiralling existence of my mc's
    - A more gritty realistic setting where the backdrop coincides with my mc's lifestyles to hopefully emphasise the desperation of their characters
    Putting it bluntly, I'm stumped. I have absolutely no idea in which to choose. Both ideas are jumping off the page and sounding volumes. Excuse the pun.
    I know writing the novel as realistic as possible is of the upmost importance but I quite like the idea of the other as well.
    Any ideas?

2. TDFuhringer

TDFuhringer Contributor Contributor

I would say it depends on 1) the genre and 2) the character's development.

If it's horror or a thriller, I'd go with the gritty setting. If it's a character study or science fiction / fantasy I might go for the contrasting setting.

Also is the character going from bad to worse, or bad to better? Consider how the setting affects the mood at the beginning AND the end of the story.

3. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I will go for the first one:
    ''A picturesque backdrop where the scenery contrasts against the bleak downwardly spiralling existence of my mc's''.
    Just imagine watching a movie of someone/a main character looking desolate and desperate against an amasing background.
    Wihst watchign the movie the reader would feel better, because the visual impact in the background gives a sense of space and hope agaisnt one tiny mortal creature and that is your MC.
    It is a play on visual and mind,one that says look this archicture is beautiful and grand and this character is weak.
    Hope and beauty is bound to bounce off against one tiny little hickup that is your one desolate character.
    It is what I call a play on perspective and all in all ,nature is grander then one person and hope is only nearer because the background against which one tiny tragedy is set is bound to bounce back to an even better view.

4. Inspired writer

Inspired writer New Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.
    I think I'm going to go with the first option. Both do work with the theme superbly but for very separate reasons. Both options I think would push the stories in two ways and personally I think the first option would make the theme alot more optimistic.
    Let's face it the point of writing is solely to entertain, possibly inspire, not leave the readers in great despair.
    But the second option could always be used for another later.