1. samessex

samessex Member

Typing up my writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by samessex, Jun 28, 2009.

Hi guys

I about to start typing up my work. I started off by drafting it on a notebook, but now going to type up so I can save and amend, etc. But how do you guys type up your work, i.e, font size, spacing, margins, etc etc etc. Any advice would be great.
    Thanks! :rolleyes:

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Manuscript format is Courier New, size 12, double spaced. But you can change all that when it comes to submitting.

I type my work in calibri, size 11, single spaced. Basically, use whatever you prefer, for a first draft.

3. bluebell80

bluebell80 Contributing Member

I like using either New Times Roman 12 font, or Courier New 12 font, double spaced or at least 1.5 spaced.

4. samessex

samessex Member

ok, thanks guys.

5. Atarxia

Atarxia Member

I like to type in different format every time I come back to same piece of work, and I usually push all the writing asides out of the monitor. It helps me to stay motivated since it seems easiest to brainstorm when you start off seemingly fresh.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you can email me for a good format guide...

7. littleparisdress

littleparisdress Member

Another Question - Fonts?

Hi

Sorry again for another question...

Anyway, I was just wondering, why do publishers normally publish in Courier New or Times New Roman?
    To me they look very boring. Some books, like I think Orion Publishers, publish with a version of Times New Roman that looks interesting. think by a Why don't they make it more interesting in other publishing?
    And is the standard size 12? It has suddenly hit me that my books are not novels at all like this!!!:mad:
    Also, is it okay for a stimulus for yourself to use a different font? I don't lack in motivation or anything, I just think that other fonts make it look more interesting when you are writing...

Are there any fonts you like to use? Why?

Thanks!

littleparisdress

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cogito Ergo Sum:confused:

8. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It may be boring, but it's easy to read. I guess it doesn't really matter what font or size you use when writing, but when you submit, you should stick to the guidelines and use Courier/TNR and size 12.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

littleparisdress, don't confuse the font that will be used in publising your writing for the font you should use for submitting a manuscript. You should follow the submission guidelines of the publisher you will submit to, but most of them will accept 12 point Courier New (not Times New Roman), double spaced, no leading or trailing vertical spacing between paragraphs, first line of each paragraph indented 0.5 inches. The manuscript should be printed single-sided with 1" margins on all sides. Each page should have the title, author, and page number in the header.

Some publisher guidelines will vary slightly from this, but it is the base standard most are derived from.