1. Raven

Raven Banned

UK Flood warnings are extended

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Jun 25, 2007.

Forecasters have extended flood warnings across the UK ahead of torrential rain and gale force winds expected over the next 24 hours.

The Met Office said the heaviest downpours would arrive as a storm band sweeps over England and Wales, accompanied by strong to gale force winds.

More than two inches of rain is predicted from Yorkshire to north east Wales, with up to four inches in some areas.

The exceptional amount of rain is likely to cause more widespread disruption and flooding than in recent days, especially in areas that are already saturated, the Met Office warned.

The downpours have the potential to cause trouble for travellers, and difficult conditions for revellers as they depart the Glastonbury festival.

The event has been a complete washout, as heavy rain throughout the three-day festival turned Worthy farm into a giant quagmire.

The Environment Agency has two flood watches in place - the River Leam between Marton and Leamington Spa in Warwickshire and River Wreake from Frisby to Syston.

Marco Petagna, forecaster for MeteoGroup UK, the weather division of the Press Association, said parts of England had received heavy showers, with nearly half and inch falling in one hour in Hereford.

He said the soaking the country has received in the past week is unusual for June, as are the temperatures - which dropped to 12 to 18C across the country.

"That is quite cold for June but will be a feature of the next few days," he said. "Tuesday is looking like it might be a brighter day," he said. "But if you're looking for hot, dry, sunny weather, there's not much prospect of it for a while."

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Ah, ****. Just in time for me heading north for University open days... Wonderful.

3. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Tell me about it, I've had to (nearly) wade to work this morning!

4. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

it has been proper bouncing all day, just non stop. i hate the rain and floods, it is proper shocking how bad it can get.
    Heather