1. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributing Member Contributor

My own fantasy world, living the good life

Ulramar's Progress

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Ulramar, Jun 4, 2014.

I read up on the "Goal Tracking" pinned thread and thought it was interesting, so I'm going to give this a go.

Okay, so first off: I've got my manuscript completed. It's called The New Order, it's 94,000 (around there) words long and it's a Low Fantasy story set in a slightly alternate version of our own world. Currently I'm in the editing process of the manuscript, letting it settle before I get to serious work on it.

So, my overall goals, since that's the point of this. It's kind of odd, my situation. I'm rushing, but I'm not. I want to be published (but then again, don't we all?). I don't want to be famous or anything, but just being published would be a nice accomplishment.

So about the rushing part, I'm 16 years old. I want to be published before I'm 18, and if not that, before I'm 20. There aren't enough kids writing and it'd be cool to be one of the few who do successfully. I want to rush because I want to achieve this, but I don't want to because I want my manuscript to be perfect.

So yeah, I'm well on my way, I hope. Wish me luck and thanks for reading!

Lori DG likes this.
  2. Larissa Redeker

Larissa Redeker Active Member

Good luck, Ulramar.

Yes, kids writing and getting published isn't common. Let's see if you can get published before 18 ;)

3. Ulramar

Maybe I'll change that :D

4. Ulramar

I've gotten massive edits done over the past week since I posted in this thread last, and I think I'm not presentable to beta readers. I'm going to start getting some lined up soon. I currently have two but I'd rather have more, since there's no harm in it.

I'm feeling confident, and I'm glad to be chugging along quite nicely.

5. wade-newb

wade-newb Member

I don't think there should be anything stopping you about your age when it comes to being published. I wanted to get published when I was around 12, and had I had the motivation or dedication I'm sure I would have had a good chance of it.
    Stay confident but be open to learning. Best of luck! Also check out The New Order by Blind Guardian. It's a cool song, maybe the lyrics would somehow have some other correlation with your novel.

Ulramar likes this.
  6. Amanda_Geisler

Amanda_Geisler Contributing Member Reviewer

I failed in my attempt to get published early. I started writing when I was 13 and I wanted to beat Christopher Paolini (my inspiring author) who published Eragon at 15. Unfortunately though my parents weren't very supportive back then, only now have they come to realise this is more than just a phase. Like you I didn't care if it was popular I just wanted the satisfaction of seeing my book on the shelves of my favourite bookstore.

I hope you succeed where I didn't

Amanda

Ulramar likes this.
  7. Ulramar

I'm happy to say that my parents have supported my writing (my mother wanted to write creatively but her parents didn't support it and it failed) all the way. Hopefully that can make the difference.

8. Amanda_Geisler

Amanda_Geisler Contributing Member Reviewer

That's a good thing. My parents have pushed me into another career choice, but now that I am over 18 I have switched to a professional writing and publishing degree then I will go back to a teaching degree (mostly my parents choice) if I haven't managed to make myself an editor. It was a compromise that I have managed to get them to agree to.

I'm glad that you have the support of your family, this might be what helps you to succeed.

Amanda

Ulramar likes this.
  9. Ulramar

We'll see. Only time will tell. I have their support, and everyone's around me. Maybe I'll even be able to use my age as a selling point (there aren't many young authors, I've found).

10. Ulramar

I'm just going to keep this updated for my sake and to keep everyone else up to date on my writing. It's been a month.

My beta readers seem to be stagnant, but I expected that. I still haven't heard back, but hopefully I'll hear from them soon.

For writing, I'm writing other things just to keep myself going. I'm toying with the rest of the series after The New Order, like the story (The Plane of Life) that I messed around with in the Novel section of the Workshop. I've also tinkered with stories in between The New Order and The Plane of Life, since those are the first and last books. I've written tasty chapters of the other books but I haven't truly dedicated time to any one in particular to sit down and write the next book.

I'll probably save it for National Writing Month, since this'll be the first time I've done it and I really want to participate.

11. Ulramar

Haven't posted in a while so I'll throw something else out.

I have decided to rewrite The New Order after getting lots of feedback on my posting of "A Funeral Scene" in the workshop. I have a lot of plans for things to change, many of which sadly do require a rewrite. Tomorrow I intend to start.

Also, what I posted in the workshop is from The Order of the Flame, the second story in the Dance of Fire and Death series. Just for anyone who's curious.

12. Joe_

Joe_ Member

Good luck to you on the rewrite. I commend you for not taking any shortcuts.

Ulramar likes this.
  13. Ulramar

If I'm going to get there, I'm going to get there right, no matter how long it takes. And thank you!

14. Ulramar

So I was supposed to start rewriting ages ago. That didn't happen. I'm going to work on it tonight and see how well it goes. I haven't been in the writing mindset for a while thanks to school but I'm going to give writing a shot again. If I remember I'll post here again saying how well that went.

15. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

You forgot to post :(
    Also, keep writing! Don't procrastinate like I do or you'll end up old and without anything to show for it!
    Well, no book to show for it anyways ;p

Ulramar likes this.
  16. Ulramar

Oh crap you're right.

Okay so the story kind of bombed for the day. Then I got an idea for a psychological horror story, which also bombed.

I'm going to give my original story a shot again but I'm just going to intensively plan for National Novel Writing Month. I really shouldn't procrastinate but, oh well.

17. Ulramar

With National Novel Writing Month coming up, I've prepared myself for the rewrite I'll be doing. Just about everything is ready.

In the meantime I've been working on the sequel. I got about halfway through it (Chapter 14) and now I'm jumping around at different scenes as an experiment for doing this for the rewrite. There are so many unwritten details, I hate it. I'll be doing it the chronological way, I think.

18. Ulramar

National Novel Writing Month was a flop. Didn't have time, getting my grades up to a reasonable point. They're there and now I might return to my novel.

But it wasn't all a waste. The past few months I've been adminning on an ASOIAF related facebook page, where I've written numerous essays. So I'm still writing, which is nice.