1. Short Story Collection

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Novel Series

100.0%
  1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Short Story Short Story Collection Book vs Novel Series

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by MilesTro, Jul 15, 2014.

Which type of book do you prefer reading and why? Do you like short stories in a series, or longer stories in a series? Each story can be good and addictive.

2. Nightstar99

Nightstar99 Senior Member

I quite like shorts though there aren't many around any more that see the light of day.

I am a bit of an SF nerd so enjoy things like Phil Dick and Ray Bradbury in short form. I wish I could write short stories myself but brevity isnt one of the arts that I have ever managed.

3. Chad Lutzke

Chad Lutzke Member

Depends on my mood. The problem with short story collections is they can be a hit or miss. You invest time into a story that just ends up not paying off. Stephen King for example. I'm a fan of most of his books (the ones I've read anyway), but his short stories are often lacking and predictable. Poe or C. Barker seem to tell a much better short story in my opinion.

~Chad Lutzke

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I prefer novels in a series. I have nothing against short stories, and come across some enjoy some, but even a series of them, simply by their structure are limiting in character development and plot development.

People who tend to enjoy shorter works but desire those that have more depth and expanse, serials would probably fit better.

5. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I don't mind short stories, but I read mostly novels because you can find them easier. My favorite shorts are science fiction and the Conan the Barbarian series written by Robert E. Howard. The novel series I am reading now is Wereworld by Curtis Jobling.

6. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

I have actually written both, and I find that short story collections are slightly more fun to write than they are to read. I prefer more detail and information on the characters and world they are in, and short stories cannot really do that.