1. gina

gina Member

Novel Help picking novel

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by gina, Aug 25, 2015.

Hi, I'd like to write my first novel and between 2 story lines. They are:

1. A young bipolar woman struggles daily to find herself after a major episode and wonders if life is worth living.

2. A middle aged, married congressman is King Solomon reincarnated and tries to save his soulmate from going to hell, a woman who is reincarnated Queen of Sheba. His former love from a past life.

Which sounds more interesting to you?

Also, I have bipolar disorder so it would give me the opportunity to do speaking engagements. It was also suggested I used story 1 as a subplot of story 2, like the Queen thought she has bipolar but is really reincarnated.

Last thing, my writing skills are very rusty. I excelled at writing growing up but haven't written in years. I've been doing small writing exercises to sharpen up but don't know if my skills are on par to write a novel. Should I just dive in or hone my skills a little more?

2. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

It's hard to say. For people with mental health issues or interested in existentialism, they'd probably vote '1.' Others more into history or evangelism would be into '2.' The idea of being really reincarnated, but wondering if it's from mental illness is intriguing.

3. jorel

jorel Member

I would definitely read #1, and seeing as you have personal experience with the topic, that gives you even more potential to make it as authentic as possible.

You'll definitely have audiences for both ideas.
    Tying the two together would be interesting, though it takes away from the time you can focus solely on the illness.

I can't really advise you on how to go about your writing... just that one doesn't cancel out the other; you can dive into writing one of these novels and do exercises on the side.

4. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

#1 is something I would read.
    Honestly speak I would not read #2, it sounded really confusing to me. Do you know a lot about law, social studies, King Solomon/the bible?

5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Being a bit of a fantasy fan, I'd love to read #2 - sounds way more interesting and unique than #1.

However, also being a drama fan as well as generally interested in experiences so unlike my own and a desire to understand new perspectives, I'd also read #1.

However, it would take more than your summary to hook me enough to read #1. It's fairly ordinary as stories go, so I'd need something more to really intrigue me. But #2 is already there :-D #2 sounds like pure feel-good entertainment, which is just fine for me!

6. PrincessSofia

PrincessSofia Active Member

I wouldn't read the first one as it's not the kind of book I like to read, but I would definitely read the second :)

7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

The first would appeal to me, the second not at all.

But it doesn't matter how it sounds to us. The question is, which one resonates the most with you? If you are serious about writing a novel, it's a project you're going to be with for a long time. Which is the story you most want to tell? Because that's the one you will stay with.