1. AnDay

AnDay Member

Unhappy

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by AnDay, May 4, 2009.

I am working on my first short story and am unabble to get past the first day of writing. I sit down and begin to write my story which I believe to be a fantastic idea. The following day I am unhappy with my work and restart from scratch. I dont know if this is a part of the process towards developing the best story possible at my level in writing or if I am just being too picky with my own work. When I write I find that every detail must be as perfect as possible. At this rate I will be unable to get any of my ideas on paper! :mad: Has anyone had anything like this happen to them or is it just me?

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

I feel like that sometimes, but then I usually think that my rewrites are better, so everytime I do a rewrite I feel a little happier with it...if you're not maing any progress with your rewrites, you need to work out why.

3. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn Contributing Member

Stop being your own worst critic and just write it. Even if you're not happy with it, keep writing it. Then, when you get to the end of it, work on the rewrites until you get happy with it. But don't keep rewriting the first part over and over...you won't make any progress unless you force yourself to move past it.

~Lynn

4. AnDay

AnDay Member

Ok, thanks for your input guys. Will be getting back to it asap.

5. c.n.nevets

c.n.nevets New Member

AnDay,

I think different writers respond to this situation differently. Given your situation, I think the advice you've taken already is dead-on. Just write it and worry about it later. You may be surprised what you think when the whole thing's been written.

That said, the other option is just to relax about the revisions. I revise my stuff constantly. By the time I get get done, my first draft is several stages further than that. I find it helps me to write to be open to starting over or revamping large parts.

I'm not saying you should try this. I think before you can do that, you really need to get the writing muscles used to producing, and that means no revising, just drafting for a while. But I do think you don't need to stress about scrapping and restarting either. It's also a natural part of the process.

.Nevets.

6. vanhunks

vanhunks Member

I once attended a writing workshop where we were told: first, just get the text out. That serves as a solid enough draft to work on polishing/self-editing in all the subsequent drafts.

vanhunks

7. Dcoin

Dcoin Contributing Member

Be critical of a finished piece not an unfinished part.

8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I really couldn't have put it better myself.

Don't look for faults, look for things to improve.

9. AnDay

AnDay Member

Awesome, thanks for the input. I'm new to writing so little situations like these are new to me and easily frustrate me. Thanks for all the input.

10. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Senior Member

The story is only going to come out of multiple rewrites. I don't think anyone really writes what just comes out of the mind and turns it into a novel, except maybe Andre Breton, and even he edited his so-called 'automatic writing' novels.

11. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed Contributing Member

Just write the story. If you have a problem with the way that the plot unfolds or how a character is, then I would find that a good reason to change it, but if its your writing itself then I'd say to let it slide. That's what rough drafts were made for. :)

12. rainshadow

rainshadow Member

Even if you elect to start from scratch, ever... DON'T throw away what you've already written. You never know when you might need it. :)

13. AnDay

AnDay Member

Never thought of it like that. I've always looked at the old version as a pile of junk. Thanks for the tips.

14. rainshadow

rainshadow Member

You're most welcome!

I never throw away anything I write. Like I said, ya just never know. More than once going back and looking through old archives I've been able to stimulate my creativity and on occasion something I thought dead actually makes a reappearance. :)