1. sharnate85

sharnate85 New Member

unmotivated

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by sharnate85, Nov 24, 2010.

I have been trying to work on my novel since April of this year. It has gone from the original story that I began to create, to a story which takes place generations before the original concept. I am not sure where to begin! Should I keep the second story to help the original grow in my own head, or should I begin with the second idea and continue until I catch up to myself? As a reader what opinions do you have about this?
    To be more specific, I am only displaced by three generations. The second concept I have for this whole story would begin with the creation of my species of creature, which from then on, would become the main creatures in my novel.
    I am writing in the fantasy/fiction genre.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

Write whichever you are most interested in.

Don't think in terms of which one you need to write first to explain the other; after all, any good book should be able to stand on its own, so that applies to whichever of the two stories you choose: you shouldn't depend on the other story to back up the first.

The most important thing is to just write it (Cogito the mod will most likely post soon with the "a story concept alone means nothing" template post).

One of the biggest barriers of writing is the "Great blank word doc" or staring at the page for a long time because you don't know what to write. Figure out the first scene and write it -- once you've got the story started, allowing it to develop becomes much easier.

Good luck!

3. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

Yeah, go with what Mallory said. Pick either story and work on it 'til it's finished.

Some writers seem to hold on to a single story for a long time; others have something of a "shelf life" -- if they don't get the story written, it changes into a slightly different story, then a very different story, then gets displaced by an entirely different tale. Well, that's sad for the "original" story, which has more or less died unless the author deliberately tries to bring it back to life, but it gives the author another chance, as it were, to write the new stories down.

Okay, the first story doesn't hold your interest anymore. Well, fine; it's been six months, after all. Maybe your brain needs something else to play with for awhile.

The main point here is that you ought to write something, whether it's the new story or the first one. Otherwise you'll lose them both when yet another neat story idea comes up.

So get writing -- after the holidays, if necessary, but sometime soon at least -- and finish a story. Doesn't matter which one, or if it's "good" writing (because we all start out bad, trust me; only the ones who slog through the muck get to the gems on the other side), just get it finished. And good luck.