1. hrdoyle3

hrdoyle3 New Member

Need some Help...

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by hrdoyle3, Aug 18, 2012.

Hello writer world,

I am writing a short story about a male musician in New York who meets a beautiful wealthy girl.

Both are in their early twenties.
    They fall for each other, but things turn bad when he begins abusing drugs.

He has a rocker style and somewhat of loner before he meets her.
    His parents were middle class from a small town. He ran away when he was young to fulfill his music dreams.

She is from a wealthy family in New York. She is beautiful, mysterious, and seductive.
    She is a rebel in her family, acting out when she becomes bored in her life.

I have looked at some baby naming websites, but just can not seem to find any names that fit them the way I would like.

Currently, I am calling them MCBoy and MCGirl...Need HELP!!!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Keep those names for now. Focus on developing the story. You can replace the names easily later

3. Julia

Julia New Member

How about Julian and Julia? ;)

This way in the beginning they have something to laugh and joke about, but later it becomes a constant reminder of how good things used to be.

4. hrdoyle3

hrdoyle3 New Member

That is what I have been doing. I am wrapping up the ending now.

5. luna claire

luna claire Member

Here are some suggestions:

Girls: Sarah/Sara, Cara, Cora, Anita, Rebecca, Mia, Mariah, Peyton, Penelope, Cassandra, Analise, Angela, Evangeline, Roxanne, Beatrix, Catherine/Katherine, Katrina, Chanda/Shanda, Amanda, Viola, Violet, Veronica, Ellen, Elaine, Elena, Virginia, Zoe/Zoey, Chloe, Circe, Stephanie, Susanna, Arabella, Juiliana, Lillian, Gillian/Jillian, Claire, Bridget, Amara, Mara, Meredith, Annika/Annica, Danika/Danica, Aubrey, Brenna, Vanessa, Victoria, Charlotte, Emma, Emily, Amelia, Amy, Peyton, Paige, Brooke, Piper, Astrid, Stella, Kirsten, Kristen, Christine/Christina, Christa, Kylie, Kira, Lela, Layla/Leila, Larissa, Janna, Jennifer, Gwenyth, Gwendolyn, Gwenivere, Sasha, Sorcha/Sorsha, Regina, Regan, Claire/Clare, Samara, Samantha, Drusilla, Lucia, Leona, Jennifer, Caressa, Carissa, Andre, Ariana, Caroline, Daphne, Leah/Liah/Lia, Serena, Erin, Gail/Gayle, Iris, Honora, Nora, Nina, Lydia, Elizabeth, Isabel, Mirabel, Lira, Lyra, Enya, Anya, Stacia, Anne/Anna/Ana, Cheryl, Mina, Deana, Michaela, Zoe/Zoey, Sandra, Jane/Jayne, Jessica, Rachel, or Fiona.

Boys: Aiden/Aidan, Reed, George, Tyler, Benjamin, Jacob, James, Henry, Scott, Kirk, Stephen/Steven, Walker, Wilson, Harvey, Drake, Luke/Lucas, Edward, Edmund, Edwin, Edgar, Owen, Oren , Darien, Dorian, Derik/Derrick, Kyle, Kylar, Ash, Asher, Ashton, Archer, Angus, August, Ryan, Oscar, Hector, Jules, John, Jack, Jonathan, Milo, Miles, Lazlo, Jesse, Jason, Tobin, Tobias, Michael, Gabriel, Daniel, Liam, William, Sean/Shaun, Shamus, Brian, Bret/Brett, Dougal/Douglas, Theodore, Chance, Chase, Chaney, Tucker, Grey, Gentry, Elton/Alton, Caleb, Richard, Robert, Rodrick, Rodney, Rupert, Emmit, Everet/Everett, Deon, Giles, Nathan, Andrew, Virgil, Victor, Vincent, Ivan, Lars, Nicholas, Colin, Cole, Dante, Thomas, Leo, Leon, Brendon/Brandon, Marcus, Matthew, Max, Joel, Seth, Simon, Saul, Lowel/Lowell, Grant, David, Dewi, Oliver, Keith, Dean, Samuel, Clint, Alan/Allen, Lewis, Stewart, Rueben, Truman, Alexander/Allistar, Gregory/Gregor, Hugh, Hugo, Garth, Christopher, Justin, Charles, Carl/Karl, Bennet, Corbin, Jay, Shane, or Orion.

That's all I can think of. I hope this helps. Good luck!:)

6. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Don't stress it - if you're near a used book store go in and buy a baby name book
    - highlight the names you like and make a
    list - it's what I do. And it will come in handy for later stories.

Only pick about seven names and narrow it down.

Never pick names you don't like or have strange histories to them.
    Think in terms of names you do like which will make things easier - Do you
    like names ending with an a - like Sara or Marissa , or names ending in a y like Carly or
    Lindsay - or tomboy names, or flower names or biblical names. Do you want
    something with the possibility of a nickname like Elizabeth or something
    eclectic like Lilo?

For your rock star guy think in terms maybe of British imports - Desmond, Colin,
    Clive, they have a nice creative edge to them.

7. B93

B93 Active Member

Objectively, names have varying degrees of formality that will be sensed by most readers. Richard is more formal than Rick, which is more formal than Ricky. Henry is more formal than Hank. Barbara is more formal than Barb.

Some names suggest nationality or ethnicity to most readers (Jose, Oleg, Yolanda, Winston).

Famous (Ringo, Adolph, Madonna) or currently newsworthy (Barack, Mitt) names will influence most readers.

Names come and go in popularity and will suggest age, but that changes over time. Agnes, Ethyl, Mabel would be great grandmothers. Zoe or Zoey went out of favor and came back. Kara, Jasmine, Harli, would be younger.

Beyond such considerations, readers will be subjectively influenced by past associations with people they have known or heard of. But everybody's experience is different.and the associations will be so varied that it doesn't matter much what you pick. Marie, Kara, or Erin? John, Dave, or Mike? It doesn't matter.