1. Jefferson27

Jefferson27 Member

Update on novel Identity

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Jefferson27, Dec 25, 2011.

Hello all,

I have mentioned in a couple posts and one synopsis thread before about the novel(Identity) I was working on and just wanted to update the process on it to close the loop and also allow others to see how it compares with what they have done with their work. I must also add that I received some help with the book description/synopsis from people on here a couple months ago. Helpful advice as well, thank you. I wrote most of Identity 2 and 3 years ago, most of the first draft was done in 2 one month periods of writing. I then put the manuscript away for a while before looking at it again almost a year later. The long layoff was not completely planned however; it was partially because I was unsure about what to do with it next. At that point, a friend who is a successful and much more experienced writer than myself and his wife who is an editor, both volunteered to read the manuscript. They gave me notes and I want back to work to produce a second draft based on my thoughts and reactions to their notes as well as time to reflect upon my first draft. She then graciously edited the second draft for me, and I reworked it once more.
    The synopsis to Identity I posted on here a couple months ago and had help in its evolution to its current state. Then after a final read through of it myself, I went with what was financially and otherwise the best route in getting the novel out there, publishing with and epublishing company. I have put hundreds of hours into the novel and am very happy and proud of the result.
    If anyone would like to read the first section of the book, the initial 34 pages are available by clicking on the cover image of the book at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006IH3TZW/?tag=postedlinks04-20
    But regardless it is very rewarding to have finished the novel and to have it come out to my liking. It makes all the hard work and tediousness after writing the first draft, which I found really quite enjoyable to be honest, worth it.
    Cheers and Happy Holidays!

2. joanna

joanna Active Member

Isn't it so satisfying to be finished? Congratulations & happy holidays. I'll read the first section. Glad to hear this community's helped you, it's definitely inspired me as well.

3. Jefferson27

Jefferson27 Member

Yes, it is rewarding when you are happy with the result.
    Although of course it's on to the second and the third works in progress now. But it is nice to have one full length novel under my belt now.

And by the way, in the preview, the spaces between chapters are eliminated and the text is a bit compressed, but in the actual ebook it is not. This is just a formatting difference between computers and ereaders, since depending on the setup(i.e. chosen text size, page size) of the individual ereader where a page break would be might be different from one to another. Personally don't like how the preview makes some of my short chapters(2 to 4 page ones) look extremely short and gives the whole preview a bit run together feel with one chapter pressed up against another. But oh well, some of the best authors have had some very short chapters, and also is a very minor issue, especially when you consider it's not how the actual book is.