Upgrade Feedback

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Daniel, Aug 18, 2013.

1. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

One thing I do like about this new upgrade is that if I type a post to a thread, see the post appear, then hit the Firefox "previous page" button on the toolbar, it takes me back to the actual previous page I was on. The old system would just take me back to the window I was typing my post into, and I'd have to hit it again to get back to where I really wanted to be. That was very annoying. This is much better.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I had trouble with tags when I posted a new thread. When I hit the comma to add a second tag it resulted in an 'x' instead and ended the tag string. I retried and got the same result.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm responding to your post only as a test to see if the same happens to me...

4. Wreybies

So, when you start typing the tags and you hit the comma, yes, it bubbles the word and gives an X, but the X is really there to delete the individual tag; it's a button. You can type several tags that end up looking like this:

[​IMG]

but once you hit "save changes" it turns to this:

[​IMG]

5. GingerCoffee

Thanks, Wrey. You are one awesome Mod. :D

6. GingerCoffee

Once again a smiley in a post is preventing me from editing it, giving that "internal server error" message again. If I delete the smiley the edit works without the error message.

Yet I can post the smiley in the original message just fine, and I was able to reply to one message with a frowny face, no trouble.

It seems to be combining a smiley with an edit.

I'll do a test with the next couple posts in this thread.

7. GingerCoffee

Test message with a :).

Test edit which if it works means there is some other combo with the smiley.

8. GingerCoffee

Test reply to the above message.

Test edit of the message.

9. GingerCoffee

Well, that's a fail, the edits worked fine.

It will require more testing to find the culprit combinations that are causing me the problem.

10. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Thanks for trying, anyway, Ginger. The only time I've ever had that "Internal server error" message was when I was trying to respond to a message that contained an image. Deleting the image didn't help, either. Ugh.

11. Ian J.

Ian J. Active Member

Test post with a smiley :)

Test edit with smiley.

Additional edit to say that it all seems fine on my system. If I ever get the server error I'll bear in mind and report back here.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

As long as you don't need a trial post with a tickle.

13. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Hey everyone, thanks for your patience. I suspect it'll take another week or so to get the kinks worked out. I'm currently working on the anti-spam measures. Please continue to provide feedback, it'll help me address all the issues.

As for the reputation system, I liked the older system as well, there was just no easy way to port it over. Once I take care of all the other issues I'll look into re-adding the rep system.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! Fixed it.

If anyone else is having this issue please speak up. I'm having no such problem on either Mac or Windows.

I'll continue to address these issues as I can. For those of you reporting errors, if you could copy the error (or better yet take a screenshot) that would help immensely.

14. the1

the1 Active Member

@jannert The only advice I can give you concerning your problems is to suggest you update your software. Update your web browser and try doing a system update as well.

If that fails to work... What browser are you using? Can you try an alternative FireFox, Chrome?

15. Wreybies

@jannert I access the forum from multiple Mac platforms. A MacMini, an iMac, and two MacBook Pros. All of them are less than a year old save for one of the Pros which is an early 2008 15" model running OSX Mountain Lion V 10.8.3 (the newest version). It still runs like a champ. I just powered her up to respond to this thread and I am not getting any lag in the typing of this post. It may be because you're running Leopard or it may be an artifact of Safari if you happen to be using it as your browser. I switched to Chrome long ago. I love it. It should have nothing to do with your Mini's hardware accoutrements because those should be very similar to what I have in this almost six year old Pro from which I am typing. That's one of the great things about Macs: Extreme longevity.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  16. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

How does one change the title under the username? I went from "Well-Known Member," which was fine -- I had no real feelings about it, to "New Member," which I don't like because it is not accurate. I'd like to change it to something else but can't figure out how.

17. Wreybies

If available, it will be under Personal Details just below where you see your avatar picture. :)

18. GingerCoffee

Well if it's not available for her it should be. And she wouldn't be a New Member anyway, would she? Seems like a glitch in the upgrade worth mentioning.

I believe Daniel assisted some of us in the past. I had enough posts but not enough time IIRC.

19. GingerCoffee

I found another new feature I like. I often take a while to compose posts and the thread I was in just let me know there were new posts in the thread since I started the draft. I like it. :D

20. Wreybies

And if for some reason you need to leave a thread before you finish your post, say to answer a "conversation", you can leave the thread and come back and the unfinished post will be there waiting for you. :) This works across multiple computers. I stopped typing a post on my new MBPro to check if my old one presented with an issue that another member is having with an older Mac, and the post was there waiting for me to finish it when I opened the forum on the older MBPro.

21. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

It does not appear to be under Personal Details. I'm getting more and more irritated with this site update. UGH!!!!! I was able to change my "status," whatever that is, to "irritated." That may be permanent.

22. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I don't have it, so I am apparently forever stuck as A Brave Little Toaster...

I can't say that I mind to much... :p

23. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Thanks for the responses regarding my 'sticky' issues. I would be interested if any Mac user out there is still running Leopard, and if they're having the same problems.

I will actually be buying a new Mini next month, so if the issue is Leopard, system 10.5.8, then the problem should disappear. Unfortunately, upgrading to Mountain Lion on my present machine would make other processes slow and glitchy ...as it did for my husband when he upgraded his old iMac. He's since given up, and bought a new one.

Very annoying, this constant need to upgrade perfectly good machines. I am fortunate enough to have the money to do this, but lots of other people don't. 5 years old, and already I'm struggling with eBay, this forum, Firefox (I've upgraded as far as my system will let me) Safari (ditto.)

I do wish software developers would be more conscious of the need for backward compatibility. But of course, they all want us to buy new stuff constantly, don't they?

24. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

The system might need a clean install. My MacBookPro became impossible in a similar way you describe and I was ready to buy a new one (because upgrades will sometimes conflict and paralyse the system). I also thought it was a virus, or that Safari was playing up (no matter what you do, do not install Chrome on the Mac, it behaves like malware and slows everything down, it's awful) but nothing worked! I ended up cleaning up the hard disk and re-installing the newest operating system. You have to back up everything on external drives and copy it back on the Mac which takes about a day and is rather annoying but straightforward. But it did the trick beautifully, the MacBookPro is as good as new now.

For mini devices, I don't know if this is possible? But you can certainly re-set the device to factory default. Have you asked a question on MacForums? If not, go and join and ask them, they'll sort you out ;)

25. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Thanks, jazzabel. I'll give this a think. I've reinstalled a hard disk before, so that's no big deal, and I already keep my work backed up (in a paranoid fashion!) However, my husband's experience of doing the same thing—upgrading to the newest system—on his old iMac was not encouraging. There have been a lot of changes in Mountain Lion that don't sit well with some older Macs. What era was your MacBookPro, originally? What system came loaded with it? (This should probably be a private conversation, eh?)