urban dictionary.

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by lornamarie, Nov 20, 2011.

1. plaidpants

plaidpants New Member

I find it ironic that someone who doesn't us capitals is saying that they have a love for grammar, and complaining about other people abusing the English language. I find the concept of Urban Dictionary to be quite interesting, but the problem is that it's maintained by users. If words and definitions could be submitted, and a board were to filter and edit them, I'd easily get behind the concept. As it is, it's too much of a mess to really use or support.

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

So readers need to keep the site open in order to read the book? That's like saying it's a good idea to choose words from a thesaurus - after all, readers can keep the dictionary close at hand.

3. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

You are misunderstanding, this topic was never about whether or not you should use Urban Dictionary in a book. The OP was asking our opinions on it, nothing more. Nobody is trying to write with the information on that site (I hope). He wanted to know our thoughts on the slang people are using today for text messaging and vocal speech. Specifically the slang on www.urbandictionary.com.

Also, this thread probably should have been put in the lounge. Since it really isn't a question about writing.

4. Clumsywordsmith

Clumsywordsmith Active Member

As others have said, just do as I do -- write everywhere in perfectly clear, concise and mostly grammatically-correct english. Most people I text begin to shape up their own attention to detail within a few days; I've had some tell me that they're "intimidated" to text me, for fear of looking like an idiot. Others mention being grateful for the fact that my text messages always make sense, and they're never left attempting to puzzle something out for lack of proper diction. Either way, someone is far less likely to keep sending drivel when my own texts in response might be an paragraph's worth of perfectly constructed content.

5. Lost_in_Thought

Lost_in_Thought New Member

I use to live in a Igloo, but it melted :)
    Many people seem to forget the language is bond to change no matter what. English was very different then it was in the middle ages. Heck it was way different then it was one hundred years ago, 50 years ago! A goo example for the ever changing of a language is the word enormity, most people when they say it or hear it they think of a large amount. It really means a great evil. Think about it.