Tags:
  1. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

Use of Enneagrams

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Leonardo Pisano, Mar 7, 2011.

I am pretty impressed by the potential of Enneagrams for psychological profiling and character development. Does anyone here have experience with them?

2. Terry D

Terry D Active Member

From my understanding enneagrams are not used much in clinical psychology, or for criminal profiling.

3. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

Thanks Terry. However, I didn't mean the use of Enneagrams to use in my plot but to develop/profile my main characters, to make them behave consistently and be believable.... In other words, Enneagrams as a tool for character development.

4. SeverinR

SeverinR Contributing Member

It could be used, but I like letting the character be themselves.

Doing what the character would do, rather then display a characteristic in the 9 pointed star.

Maybe use it for a secondary character, when their action isn't going to alter the story outcome.

5. Terry D

Terry D Active Member

I'll step on the mental accelerator and try to catch up :).

That might be a useful -- at the very least interesting -- technique to try. Particularly using the 'wing' personality types to help create an aspect to a character's personality which might not be readily apparent. Something to think about.