1. Edward

Edward Active Member

Useful Prompts? Myth or Fact?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Edward, Aug 1, 2009.

Have any of you ever had a writing prompt that was useful? So far only once have I got a good idea from a prompt.
    From that I ended up making Ashcroft, a Silent Hilly story that starts when a woman wakes up from a car crash. That's the only time I've found them useful.

I've been more inspired reading the rulebook for Hunter: The Vigil.
    Am I the only one who finds prompts mostly useless, but finds stupid stuff like the flavortext on a Magic card a great place to generate ideas? Does anyone know of a good place to get prompts for more fantasy focused ideas?
    Other than RPGs and CCGs, that is.

2. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

I find prompts useful in two ways. First I use them as just fun, quick flash fiction pieces done more to test how long I can write non-stop. These pieces are basically downloaded directly from my subconscious as I don't stop writing for grammar or to alter a word choice (that comes later). The second way I use prompts is to just thumb through them, pick a few I like, and just let my mind wander. I have never actually used a writing prompt to construct a pieceI would consider trying to sell.