1. Aidan Stern

Aidan Stern Active Member

I'm not sure what to call this thread

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Aidan Stern, Oct 8, 2015.

Hi, I'm not really sure where to place this question, but I put it in here because it will help me develop a scene.
    If a person A proposes (as in marriage) to person B, is person B obligated to answer right away? Or is B allowed to run away and think about it for a bit. How would B's reaction affect the situation? Do you think A will understand B's reaction?

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

When my (now)husband proposed, I asked if he was joking and then said I'd give him an answer on Friday (it was a Monday). He was nervous and impatient for the week but he understood. We were quite a new couple though and I wasn't expecting it at all.

I've written a story where this happens to an established couple who had talked about marriage previously, so the opposite to me and my husband. I wrote Person A as being upset and feeling a bit rejected and humiliated, though he tried not to show it and to give B the time to come to a decision.

I think either way can work. Depends on the couple in question and their personalities.

peachalulu and GuardianWynn like this.
  3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

How would someone be obligated to answer right away? An obligation means there is some sort of duty, and thus a source for that duty. From what source would there stem an obligation to answer right away, or ever for that matter?

4. Woof

Woof Senior Member

Think about the status of A&B particularly (as much as their history and psychological make-up). Where does the power lie in the relationship and why? Depending on your world, this could revolve around gender, sexuality, race, assets, genealogy, age, favourite Pokemon... anything really. Would they have to consult other people? Laws? The heavens? There's so much to consider when thinking about how two people would perceive each other's behaviour.

5. Aidan Stern

Aidan Stern Active Member

All of your input is very helpful, thank you! :)