Using Blatant Racist Terminology in Fiction. Will it work?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by carsun1000, Aug 4, 2012.

1. nhope

nhope Member Reviewer

Why not interview those who were the result of this treatment? Visit an elderly housing facility and ask to hear stories from people's lives. Talk to grandparents of people who worked in the mines or lived the Depression. Take into account that although our minds may envision a black person when the word "racism" is used, the dictionary tells it is not limited to one race. Also, not sure whether you could find a group of people with the same intensity of feeling and if one incident that happened to one character would land him into that category. If something happens to us once, depending on the severity of the incident, it may not necessarily put us into a category of hatred for that race or gender but more for that individual. Now, if events over that person's life involved the same degree of treatment from members of that race, that may be different, but I would tread very carefully on that ground.

from dictionary.com:
    a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. bsbvermont

bsbvermont Active Member

It sounds like your racist is the overt evil type, but let's not forget the subtle racism, such as "For a black man, he's quite successful." Or "It's so nice African Americans can now celebrate Kwanza." People's diction is filled with racist comments even when they don't realize it, often in the form of backhanded compliments. Don't overlook the powerful messages there.

3. auntiebetty

auntiebetty Senior Member

I am not an expert on the subject of racism or writing fiction or non-fiction; however, I feel compelled to add my two cents on this thread: So far, one has addressed the movitivation or reasons why the hatred? I grew up in an all white community in the country. Anyone not white lived in the city where my family only went a couple times a year to shop. My parents were very wary of anyone who looked different whether it was their color or their features, and especially of beggers or vagrants we somtimes had to pass on the way to/from the parking. When I went away to college and as I came into larger demographic circles, I understood two basic reasons for racism. The fear of the unknown, and the need to feel you belong to a better heritage. I remember once when a Greek man told me that a northern European man had used some term to insult the Greek heritage. The Greek said to me, "My ancesters were scientists and poets and developing political systems when his were living in caves. I have traveled the world and seen the variations of, "I'm better than you, or I'm afraid of your people." Unless there is more to the motivation of the racist character, it will be just a stereotype.

4. carsun1000

carsun1000 Active Member

The character I am basing this on is the head of a suprimacist organization who hates anything that is not white. But in this case most of his anger is directed towards blacks.

5. marktx

marktx New Member

Two points I would make regarding this:

1. When you're dealing with racism, you're dealing in hazardous terrain. Even though your character may not be attuned to the sensitivities, you probably should be. It's very easy for a well-meaning author to run their ship aground on this stuff if they don't know what they're doing.
    2. Understanding the history of the Civil Rights movement also involves understanding the history of the racists who opposed it. While you're learning what was going through the minds of the people who were fighting for civil rights, you will also be learning what was going through the minds of the people fighting against it, and this additional knowledge can be nothing but helpful to giving a depth to the racism of the character.

6. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

I have a recently finished historical/fantasy which, in several places, introduces late-1800s southern U.S. racist mentalities. At least three different characters openly express their racist views and freely express those views through racial epithets. The main character, however, along with some others, exhibits a more balanced, temperede, and unbiased view.

[On a public street, during a chance encounter, one incidental character refers to the MC's new manservant/property manager as a nigger. As the man and his wife walk away, the wife is heard to scold, "You cannot call them nigrahs anymore. Mr. Watterson, since Mr. Lincoln freed them, you must refer to them as men." Her husband quickly counters that, "Lincoln is dead and in the ground and the country will soon enough discover that slaves are the backbone of commerce in this nation." As the couple walk away, the MC apologizes to the freed slave for his friend's behavior. (This does not sit well with the property manager, regardless and the apology falls on deaf ears but it clearly shows the social mindset of the time and the MC's attitude toward it.)]

Showing bigoted behavior without balancing it with a caveat of sorts showing that it is unacceptable, will make most publishers regard it as unmarketable. In other words, unless your MC meets a horrible end as a result of his conduct and attitudes, or has an epiphany and "sees the error of his ways", you are probably going to have a tough time finding someone to publish your work.

Which reminds me of a wonderful quote that seems somehow appropriate here:

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
    - - Author: Catherine Aird

7. carsun1000

carsun1000 Active Member

After reading some of the comments since this thread started I am now seriously considering discontinuing my efforts on this work. I am not one for centerfold. I just like to write. But this very sensitive topic will only reinforce certain sects beliefs of their superiority over others even though it is all fiction. So after 13 chapters, I think I will hang this one up and focus on my other works. Thank you all for enlightening me on this you-can't-touch-this issue.

8. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Hey! Don't give up on this!

I will direct your attention to a YA book featuring a racist white person. It is called The Cay. In short, he was a racist little brat in the first half of the book, believing himself superior to the old man who rescued him. At one point, he even called the man a "stupid, ugly black man" and got smacked across the face for it. At the end, he learns that he was wrong to be racist and grew to respect the old man. Of course, that white person was a young boy, and they were in an obviously different set of circumstances, but it can be done.

The book was published in the 1970s, became an instant bestseller, won an award, even had a movie adaptation! Yes, people have slammed the book for being racist. That's...kinda the point of the storyline. A racist boy learns to get the hell over his preconcieved notions so he and the elderly man can work together and survive the whole "stranded on forgotten cay" ordeal. The story wouldn't have happened if the kid was already accepting and not a bigot. He needed to be a bigot so he could change in the end.

Don't give up on it. Just show that not everyone is going to tolerate your racist MC's behavior, and show him gradually changing his perceptions as the story goes along. Maybe he has a friend who quits being around him because he's so damned racist? Maybe his wife, who isn't a racist, often has arguments with him, and it's only when she threatens to divorce him and take the kids with her that he realizes how monumentally stupid he's being and tries to change his ways.

I would advise, however, against using the magical minority cliche by having a black person buddy up with your racist MC and teach him the values of life and all that stuff. Let them flow naturally.