1. JinX

JinX Banned

Childrens book: Ferrets and faeries?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by JinX, Oct 23, 2008.

Ok, so I've had this overwhelming urge to write a childrens book, though picture or not I'm not sure of. I have this idea though. I've not read many recent childrens books or topics, so if anyone could help...

I have several ideas, but one that has been biting me lately is this:

A family moves onto a farm. It’s a boy, his sister, mom dad and their pet ferret who sleeps with the boy. On the farm is an ancient race of faeries called the Namph. They dislike humans and want them gone. The ferret meets an owl, or another creature not sure yet, and is told of the race and that his family is in danger. Now, the ferret doesn’t believe the owl, and dreams of being free. Perhaps he makes the comment that if the family was gone he could be free, or something along those lines. Perhaps one day later something happens to the little girl and she gets hurt, the owl tells the ferret that it is the faeries, and if he doesn’t help stop them then something worse will happen. The ferret doesn’t listen, and then the boy whom he sleeps with is taken. Now, despite his dreams and talk of being free the ferret goes to the owl and asks for help. The owl tells him he needs to train, or learn from the earth in order to fight the faeries and bring back his boy. Thus ensues the ferret’s struggle and training, then later perhaps a journey into the ‘underworld’ where the boy is. Not sure what happens In the meanwhile, but I picture the story climaxing with all of the cowed animals of the forest banding together to fight the Namph and driving them away, etc.

Does this have any worth/merit in anyone’s opinion? Has it been done?

2. Only Sissies Write

Only Sissies Write New Member

I'm not well-read in children's books enough to know if that idea has been done. I like that it is from the perspective of the ferret who has to overcome adversity once it realizes it wants to save the boy. A dynamic character, I mean. I don't know about having to learn to fight and train, though. I think it would be better if the ferret had to rally the forest animals to drive out the faeries and if the faeries, rather than an underworld, lived in the very center of the woods or something like that.

The idea has definite potential. Go for it.

3. JinX

JinX Banned

Thank you very much for your input =) I know what you mean about the training thing, I stumbled over that part when I was writing it out. I think the only reason I had that idea is because I thought of the line, "You can’t fight with that, it’s only a toothpick." Sounded funny at the time, lol.

Thanks again =)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

cog is right...

and if you want to write for children you'll HAVE TO do the requisite research into what's out there for the age range you want to target, as well as HOW to write for children, since it's a very specialized aspect of the writer's art...