1. Dannikins

Dannikins New Member

Chance to laugh at possible stupid question

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Dannikins, Jul 15, 2009.

Hey, so I've written something but I have no idea what it is be it a poem, short story or just mental ramblings so I wondered if there were any strict rules or guidelines about each style? I often find myself writing things but mostly they are just thoughts, feelings or ideas and I have no idea how to present it. Hope this makes sense and I realise this is proabably a contender for most ridiculous question asked but any replies would be gratefully received.

Dannikins xxx

2. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

You could go down to the review boards and look through each of those and see if you find anything comparable to you work. Sounds like your journaling to me, and maybe you could some pieces together to form a whole work.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It's kind of hard to say without actually seeing the piece in question. However, judging by the way you described what you wrote, I think it's closer to being a diary or journal. Are you thinking about turning it into a poem or short story?

4. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Maybe it's just a good post for a blog.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There are pieces of writing which are neither poems nor shotrt stories. If they are, as you put it, just mental rablings, they a\re really not critiquable, so they would not belong in the Review Room. In any case, you shouldn't attempt to post writing in the Review Room immediately upon joining anyway.

You could post it in your member blog - that is unrestricted as long as the piece of writing doesn't violate general site rules.

New Member Introductions is a good place to begin, in order to meet everyone and find out more about the site.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sounds like what is called 'stream of consciousness' ramblings, which are usually neither poetry, nor any formal sort of prose, though it generally falls into the prose category, simply by not being poetry, a song lyric, or a script...

if there's some story/plot element to it, you can make it into a short story... or, if you want to take the time to study poetic structure, you can possibly distill it down into a poem...

7. Nervous1st

Nervous1st New Member

This is how I started writing. When I went back through all my old journals I realised how many 'characters' I become during different situations in my life.

Perhaps, you can use them to form characters of your own. Give those parts of you their own story.

Good luck.

8. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

Hi, there.

Since this is something you've just written and it sound like you're just venturing into the wonderful world of writing, I'd suggest that you begin (if you haven't already) to read others work (here) in poetry, short stories, and so forth. You'll begin to get a picture of what each of these genres feels like and can see what other readers make of it all (or don't). Add your own comments about what it reads like to you, noting where the writer or poet has done something that pleases you and also where you feel they might have stumbled over their words.

Also, read some published poetry and short stories--lots of it--and see what's making it into print these days (and classics, too). I think that'll begin to grow your vision of how you'd like your own stuff to read.

Meanwhile, work on your "ramblings" as you learn this and that. Then post them (or a piece that feels complete to you) and see what others have to say about them. Don't be surprised or insulted to find that your readers think they're just "ramblings"--especially given that's what you feel they are in their present state. But you might find some good suggestions about which way to focus your writing (and why--maybe even a smidgen of "how"), at least on that particular piece.

Enjoy yourself!

9. seta

seta New Member

It sounds like an archaic form of prose called a diary.