1. The95Writer

The95Writer Active Member

Novel Can I incorporate an essay into a book?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by The95Writer, Mar 22, 2014.

I wrote an essay a few months ago in college which contains a lot of information that relates to what I want to include in my non-fiction book. Is this 'allowed' or do the education boards dislike it?

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

If the essay was the result of your own research, and you footnote the material appropriately, no reason why not.

3. The95Writer

Then I guess I am safe to do so. But, I haven't footnoted my sources of information. I have included them in the reference page though, in organised order - is that acceptable?

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

If it's any kind of scholarly work, footnoting is the way to go. If not, then the reference page should suffice.

5. The95Writer

Yeah, I know what you mean. I did footnote them for the essay. As for the book, I have copy and pasted the information into it and removed the footnotes only for the books purposes.

6. HallowMan

HallowMan Banned

Have a look at the the Appendix 1 Harvard essay sample at the end of the information on the page you get to from the link provided, as when I copied it here the formatting is lost. Interestingly it shows how to reference at different places in sentences.

Appendix 1 Harvard essay sample

(Please note: the text and references below are completely fictitious.)
    Chocolate cake
    The design of a good chocolate cake involves complex systems analysis (Cake, 2000). Tasty (1981, p.24) is of the opinion that “in order to make a good chocolate cake it is best to use frozen cocoa beans“. Jackson and Smith (1992, pp124-125) also propose that adding chilli to the mixture makes for a very interesting cake. Recent research shows that adding an ingredient called ‘zin zin’ may even result in weight loss! (Daydreamer, 2004.)
    Reference List.
    Cake, E.T. (2001) Chocolate and beyond [Online], Available:http://www.chocoholicsworld.inyourdreams... [accessed19 March 2004].
    Resume Writing for College Transfer
    Transferring colleges is often a complex and difficult process, but one that people often feel the need to do. There’s nothing wrong with it, it just takes some time and effort to get it right, and most importantly you need to get accepted to the school of your choice.