1. TheDarkWriter

TheDarkWriter Active Member

Using Hitler As A Character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by TheDarkWriter, Jun 12, 2013.

I'm considering using Hitler as the main villain for my story. In the story he's revealed to be alive and it both shocks and terrifies the main character. Though I've been told that it's not a good idea by people I know I can see where they are coming and I am hesitant but I think it's a good twist. What do you think a good idea or a bad idea?

2. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

the main part of me wants to say this is a bad idea (being someone with judaism in my family history and him causing them to flee to the UK) cause, lets face it, not too many people would be happy about it, and i know im not the only one.

but dont take me as the reason not to do it, im just advising you on how some might feel

3. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

It all depends on your story and your reader base (Not that I'd be worried about potential readers).

What does Hitler do when he comes back, or reappears?

4. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

It's your story, you have to figure this stuff out.

But I think in this situation, it really would depend on the context of the story and how you present it. Otherwise, Hitler still being alive has been done plenty, if you're gonna do it, you're really gonna have to dig in and make it original in some way that doesn't come across as contrived or cheesy.

5. Mikewritesfic

Mikewritesfic Active Member

Folks would read it if the story was well written and had the right pace. Don't listen to the politically correct folks. If a slop bucket like 50 Shades of Gray can sell like hotcakes, a story with Hitler as the villain has decent potential.

6. TheDarkWriter

He's responsible for the rise of a new country that is based some what on the beliefs of Nazism. It's like a big shocker in the story and he's little more than a brain in a jar. He's portrayed as a very prideful delusional self glorifying jerk.

7. maskedhero

maskedhero Active Member

Hitler is a lightning rod, so using him in your fiction as a villain (a better proposition than as a hero) can be troubling. Is this novel set shortly after World War 2, or now? Was it a supernatural cause that brought him back, or something else? What terrifies and shocks the main character, that he is alive, or that he has a connection to the main character in some way?

You say it is a twist, so would it be at the end? Does it serve a grand purpose, justified by the book, or is it just using the worst person in history because he carries so much already (IE, an easy option for a villain)?

I think you're safe as long as he isn't in a power suit and named MechaHitler...

8. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

If he's responsible for a whole new Nazi country, how is he little more than a brain in a jar?

If he reappeared in deepest darkest Peru with a submarine full of Jewish gold and a New World Order that didn't include Israel then I'd imagine few pissed off people but again I wouldn't really be bothered about any disgruntled readers - of any background, race, creed, colour, persuasion. If you think you have a great story and a great reason for including the guy with the tache then I'd say forget the critics and pour your heart into it.

Do you think Dan Browne loses any sleep?

9. TheDarkWriter

It's more like mad science that brings him back his brain is in a tank and as for how he founds the country he takes advantage of an economic crisis and has his underlings form a rebellion and then they eventually established a new country. He of course leads it from the shadows with stand inns and figure heads. The Main character a demon who makes deals with people does know him their history is that Hitler made a deal with him but went back on his word at the end so the Demon switched sides. While the other characters are shocked the Main Character's reaction to Hitler is more "Oh it's just you I was expecting some one more impressive."

10. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I disagree with this, but obviously you are entitles to your opinion. No matter what you write, you are going to offend someone. I am a Christian, and seeing bad language or blasphemy in a book or film offends me, but that in no way stops the writer of the book or film from writing it. I would continue reading the book, unless the language or blasphemy became really bad.

This is why political correctness annoys me in most cases. If you say or do something, someone is going to get offended, even if the majority supports you.

So, The Dark Writer, do as you wish. The only reason I see that you would not want to write it is that using WW2 and Hitler is generally overdone, but if you write the story well and you want to write it, who's stopping you?

11. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Ideas are a dime a dozen. If you commit to it, the comments of others who dislike it are irrelevant. OTOH, if your confidence in your idea is so easily shaken, you probably aren't really committed to it. From how you've described it above, it doesn't do much for me. Then again, "Gone With The Wind" didn't do anything for me, either, so who knows?

Go write the bloody thing, or don't. But stop worrying about who you'll offend.

12. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

The bigger problem I see with this is making it plausible (beyond explaining away the preserved brain in a jar, and such). Hitler looms so large in our history that people forget that he was really just a man -- a person. He didn't have superpowers, or some ability to force people to do things against their will. He wasn't Satan or some sort of evil spirit with supernatural abilities. He was an exceptional propagandist and motivator. He had oratory skills and leadership ability. But his megalomania led to his downfall.

Hitler was also very much a product of the times and his particular circumstances. The Jews were a convenient scapegoat for many of Europe's troubles, and Hitler was able to exploit this. His personal feelings toward Jews were not even as strong as many of his followers. Originally, Hitler was not necessarily planning to murder them all -- he really simply wanted them removed. Had he been able to just get them all to leave for another country, his original goals would have been met. Part of the problem is that there was so much anti-semitism that most countries would not accept them (even the U.S.). That whole experience was what led to increased support for the creation of Israel.

So, I don't think there is so much of a problem with using Hitler as a villain because some people might somehow be offended. Rather, I'm not sure that he would have the same ability to gather a large following in the same way that he did in the late 1920s/early 1930s. People have more information and knowledge, attitudes toward different groups of people have changed, the geo-political realities are far different from what they were 80 years ago, etc. Also, I'm not entirely certain what you mean by the "rise of a new country?" How does this occur? I'm assuming that this new country would have to be somehow carved out of an existing one or some current government would need to be overthrown. There are numerous stable countries that exist today, and I'm not sure how a country founded on the beliefs of Nazism would be very large, formidable or stable for very long. We've got drones, nukes, the ability to interfere with communication systems. If there are only a few people surrounding this incarnation of Hitler, many countries, including the U.S. and Israel, would have ways of seeking them out and disposing of them.

1 person likes this.
  13. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Ed's words are so true. My book is full of what some will definitely consider blasphemy, I don't give a crap. The story was in me and now it's nearly all out and I never gave a second's thought to who it may offend.

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

THAT!