Using One's Own Life Experiences in One's Writing

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by DrWhozit, Dec 15, 2013.

1. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

@Alesia, liked for considering using an AIC song as a book title. :D

I don't think your story needs much embellishments, but there's one thing that I've found useful which is to mix and match my own experiences with those of my friends / people I know. Of course I disguise the events enough that if anyone I know reads my story, they probably won't recognize me or themselves, but the scenes are still similar enough that they feel realistic.

So yeah, for the OP, we do this a lot with KaTrian. Of course neither of us has been to space (regarding our current sci-fi WIP) but a lot of the situations the characters end up in have happened to one of us or to our friends.

I think anyone can write pretty much anything with enough research under their belts but imho 1st hand experience gives you little insights, those minute details that help give the scene the stench of realism which, in turn, helps suck the reader into the story.

Now if only I could find someone willing to tase and mace me (so that it doesn't involve me breaking the law), I'd be a happy camper...

Okon likes this.
  2. AJC

AJC Active Member

One thing I've learned about myself as a writer is that I tend to use the experience of others more than my own experiences. I'm not sure why I do this to be honest. It just seems easier to use other people. Hopefully the people reading my stories don't recognize themselves and sue me! Lol.

3. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

That's kind of my view on my life story as well. (Except I mine has been nothing for 28 years.)

4. Leigh Silvester

Leigh Silvester Member

There is slacker fiction. Flatscreen by Adam Wilson is supposed to be good.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

alesia and drw...
    this is not the proper time or place... i don't want to highjack someone's thread... you can email me if you really want to know...

hugs, m
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

6. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

*** with tears in his eyes and tail between his legs, he hobbles away****

okay...

7. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

[​IMG]

8. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Senior Member

Well, in all seriousness, I stick mainly with childhood, teenhood... and now I am about to have a glimpse into... prison fiction? I'll have my life experiences in depth yet! And no, I am SO not in prison. Yet. (Is there even such a thing as prison fiction?)

Still, I'll check out "slacker" fiction. I'm bored.

9. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

Is this something we should expand upon?

Of course there's prison fiction. Birdman of Alcatraz (non-fiction), Shawshank Redemption, Cadence, Longest Yard, Lock-up, etcetera.

10. Wild Knight

I meant the "yet" jokingly, but in all seriousness, it's a family member of mine. I'm already getting a glimpse through letters of just how little power you'd actually have in that situation. It's pretty depressing, and it's a long story.

Not sure if I could write a convincing story based on letters. Anyway, I shall not hijack the thread for much longer.

11. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

Quite honestly, I think it's an excellent question. Why couldn't you write it involving visits, even interviews with not only your family member, but other inmates and the guards themselves, the prison medical and especially psychiatric help?

I've thought about going completely outside my favorite genre and writing political fiction. Here in Indiana they passed a kick-down-the-door law a few years back that was quickly greeted with talk of anarchism from the Indiana citizens. They changed it real quickly. It could be elaborated on to build a story of future tense, political fiction.

What you mentioned is a wide open field. You'd need to do a lot of research and it could even lead you into an authoritative career.

Wild Knight likes this.
  12. Wild Knight

Hmmm... never thought of any of that. I won't be able to visit anytime soon due to being in an out-of-state prison, though that would be an interesting look. Nervous about the thought of talking to inmates, though. :eek:

13. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

Your best start is to build a rapport with the guards. Flatter them. You'd be telling their story as well, so why wouldn't they want to help? It would likely begin with a phone call to the warden. This is such a project that I'd certainly make a notebook starting with questions. There are lots of ways you can turn your family member's plight into something worthwhile.

14. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Many inmates look for penpals. Though they might also want more from their penpals than just intellectual ping-pong...

15. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

That's why I mentioned about going to the warden and staff first. They might even be able to help sort out the real bad guys and con artists.

16. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Do NOT get involved with inmates as penpals. Just... don't.

17. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

You have experience in this?

18. T.Trian

I'm wondering why you absolutely shouldn't do any correspondence with inmates. They're just people, after all. I've known several guys who've done time, some of them have even been friends, and most were normal people, not psychotic killers or super villains.

19. shadowwalker

Let me put it this way - there is a reason they are in prison. Unless you know them personally already, you have no idea what they are like, what they have actually done, or what they might do. And no, I don't have personal experience in this, but I do have a brother who is a criminal defense attorney. While he actually likes many of his clients, well, as I said, there is a reason they're in prison.

20. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

I'm certain the judiciary in America never errs.

21. shadowwalker

Yeah, and everyone in prison was wrongly convicted.

22. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

So the dichotomy demands a middle ground?

An example happened here in the town I live recently. A man was accused by his estranged wife, during their divorce, of sexually abusing their daughter. Zachary's Law kept exonerating evidence out of the trial. He lost, did time, was released to the registry. A few months ago, his ex recanted, so the charges were reversed. Apparently word of the reversal didn't reach the public quickly enough. About a month ago he was beaten to death by vigilantes. Comments on the news article were egging on vigilantes to "Keep up the good work, Perpetrator!!" The man was innocent. Now he's dead and his daughter will grow up without her real dad.

T.Trian, KaTrian and FlyFast like this.
  23. T.Trian

Sorry, but I feel that spewing these over-simplified, absolute, black and white statements just reeks of trolling. @DrWhozit, it's no use getting tangled into such provocations since nobody's dumb enough to not know the truth of the issue. Sometimes such pointless arguments can be a fun brain exercise, but usually it's better not to bother with it.

As for the subject of finding a penpal from prison: chances of finding your true love are probably pretty low. So are finding someone who will stalk, skin, and eat you. Then again, crossing the road has its inherent risks too, so...

24. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

@T.Trian

I know that. I always look at that "hope" nestled in the box. As a writer I always enjoy an opportunity to crack open the BAD. These days it's tough to not run into someone who ties their shoe only to reveal an ankle bracelet. It's a sad sign of the times. Thus the moral of my own works "If the blind lead the blind, then both shall fall in the ditch."

25. Siena

Siena Senior Member

I don't think it's that exactly.

You're using what you understand through experience.

For example, your understanding of human nature and interaction. So you have never been to space or the future but you can write a science fiction story with characters in that world which everyone could relate to.