using other verbs instead of "said"

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by starseed, May 11, 2009.

1. starseed

starseed New Member

I looked at my writing again and found I like to use "continued" for some reason.

"blah blah blah.."

She paused, while a loud siren went by.

"And.." she continued.. "blah blah blah."

Like that. There are probably other ways of doing it, but I like using continued for some reason.

2. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Said is definitely better to use than pretty much anything else, except on those few occasions when a different word fits better (which is rare).

I'd also have to say that if someone is yelling, an exclamation point seems to be almost necessary. "Get over here," he yelled... without the exclamation, I don't really feel the emotion. Personally I'd just put an exclamation and leave off the tag. When you can leave off tags, all the better. :-D

As for continuing on after pauses...I prefer to do it like this. "He went to town," she said, pausing to light a cigarette. "He's getting his check."

Something like that. I like to include an action in a pause that way there seems to be a reason for it, but that's just me.

~Lynn

3. Manutebecker

Manutebecker New Member

Please just use said, it's so annoying and sophomoric to use any other verb to describe casual speaking. Don't, however, use "said" when someone is exclaiming or yelling.

"Get down!" John said. As you can see, the example comes off as lame duck writing and gives two different tones to the authors intent. Sometimes other words are good, like "yelled" or "exclaimed", but "said" is golden (stolen from Stephen King)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The occasional use of an alternate verb is not a bad thing. In that way you can call out a particular tone or feeling of the moment more effectively. Your context already sets the scene for the feeling, but the well selected speech verb can tweak a key moment to a sharper, or subtly altered, pitch.

But precisely 97.2% of the time, stick to said/asked.

5. architectus

architectus Banned

97.2% lol.

6. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

The exclamation point point may be worthy of another thread, but since it came up here, please forgive me as I address it here.

There are some schools of thought, loathe to use the exclamation point. I don't recall where I read this, but one author wrote something like this:

"You should only have three exclamation points you're allowed to use in your entire life. That way, when you use one, the reader knows that you really mean it."

I, personally, don't know where I stand on the matter. The first draft of my book uses exclamation points liberally, and I've tried to reduce the number during my re-write.

7. Sphi

Sphi New Member

I use "replied" a lot. lol

8. Cogito

Replied is usually an unnecessary tag, because you've already established the speaker asking the question.

9. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

Then again, you can add "replied" to create subtle nuances and put emphasizes on the last portion of the dialogue, such as:

"My car wouldn't start." She replied, mimicing the cranking gesture of the engine, "I had to get a ride with Jessica Wirtz."

My precentange of using said, in a story would be in the upper 80 to 70 percent, not 90.

10. Cogito

That isn't a tag, though, Eyez. The thread is about the use of verbs in dialogue tags.

11. Atari

Atari Active Member

I generally notice when I use a tag, even one so passive as 'said,' because I often don't use any tags at all.
    Usually, it's a description of something the character is doing, then the dialogue.

Jamie blinked, "What?"

I spoke through a yawn, "I dunno."

Sometimes, I'll use the NEXT speaker to indicate who the first one is.
    If there are two people, for example:

"Who are you?"
    "No one," I said.

And then the rest of the dialogue will be mostly without any kind of indicator, and only quotes.

It's really easy to avoid using basic tags in a basic manner, and there's so much one can do that it's somewhat of an injustice to the story to stick to bare basics.

Edit: I, also, disagree with Architectus regarding of exclamation points. It drives me NUTS when someone says 'yelled' but has no exclamation point.
    And I don't think emotion or reaction is properly conveyed if you avoid an exclamation point, thinking that something as vague as 'he shook his fist' would indicate the yelling.

You're telling a story, and every bit of information counts. No one is thinking like YOU are. You have to tell them, they don't just know.

12. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

“Again, I propose the use of beats when you are tired of using the verb said, instead of going crazy with all kinds of other verbiage.” Wrey tapped thoughtfully at his chin, thinking what to say next. “Quite often, less is more. Like a beautiful Japanese zen garden.” Yes, Wrey was impressed with that. “Don't try to over-flower the work in these areas of mechanics which really carry no weight of meaning. You end up telling instead of showing. We all know that’s a no-no.” Wrey knew Dave would be proud of him for that one.

13. Atari

Atari Active Member

What's that mean, anyway? Showing, not telling? I just assumed I knew what it means, but apparently I don't.

14. starseed

starseed New Member

Hmm.. well to each their own, but I really disagree with this rule. I love exclamation marks, both reading them, and using them in my writing. They add passion to the dialogue, and I find it hard to relate to dialogue in which an exclamation mark was never used. It's just not my style.

15. arron89

arron89 Banned

Hehe I'm an !-hater...If you don't need grammar to indicate whispering or any other way of speaking, I don't see why shouting should need one. I can see them being used in the context of like a drill sergeant yelling "Go!", "Stop!" etc, but for writers to use them is just lazy. Surely there's amore subtle and suitable way to indicate the tone than slapping your reader in the face with it...

16. Cogito

Exclamation points should be used very sparingly. Three per lifetime is too restrictive, but you don't want your writing to look like a Ginsu Knife ad either.

You can grab more attention with a bold statement delivered in a calm clear voice than by screeching the same words.

17. love2listen

love2listen New Member

I'm quite font of the word "hooted"

as in used as a description of exclaimation

18. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I think my favorite is chortled. It sounds funny and somehow indecent at the same time.

19. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

Did you know Lewis Carroll, the author of Alice in Wonderland, was the one who created that word?

The same with galumphing.

20. starseed

starseed New Member

Ooh I'm going to use chortled. I don't really know exactly what it means but at the same time I feel like I understand it. lol (makes no sense)

Also some of you guys would hate my writing because I use exclamation points so much. Oh well. What can I say, I love them. I will watch my use of them when I do my re-writes though, maybe see if there are places I can tone it down a bit.