1. Eva-Athena

Eva-Athena Member

I need help writing deep poems

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Eva-Athena, Jan 26, 2013.

So, in language arts, we're writing poems, and this one girl and her friend keep on taunting us because my sister and I are slow at coming up with ideas. They make fun of us because they don't think our poems are deep. My sister and I got together and decided that we are going to write a series of 'deep' poems to give to her, so that they'll know that we're talented at the art of poetry and we're just as capable of writing poetry as they are.

What do we write about?
    How do we make our poems deep without it getting completely ridiculous?

Also, for language arts, my extended metaphor poem is based on the theme "Revenge is a shard of glass" but I really don't want to start off my poem with that exact phrase, since it's the title, so does anyone have any ideas on how my poem can start, without the title, and how I can make this rhyme?

Do I even need a rhyme scheme?
    Would it look immature if some verses rhymed and some don't?

Heeeelp!

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Anything you want.

Read a lot of poetry and learn to differentiate the good from the bad.

Is this a homework assignment?

I will say that starting a poem with the title isn't bad or wrong in any way. In fact, a lot of untitled poems have the first line as their titles.

Nope.

Nope.

3. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

Write a poem about insecurity. You have tons of material here.

4. Drusy

Drusy New Member

I seriously doubt that this other person is writing deep poetry either. Listen ... the truth is that "deep" poetry is not interchangeable with "good" poetry. Check out the poetry forums here and look at some of the past contests.

5. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

It sounds to me like you're writing for the wrong reasons. You're being just as immature as they are.

If you want to write good poetry I would suggest that you start by writing about what you know, feel, and the things that are happening around you. My favourite poems are those that are subtle: where the true meaning isn't clear on the surface. I like poetry about places and people the poet clearly has strong feelings about.

6. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Senior Member

Hmmm... something seems odd here.

I would start off writing a poem about Ke--

Wait, nevermind.

Ahem, I must say, with confidence, to emulate some of the above sentiments. These people sound like they're not even worth writing a poem about, for a poem, even those most simple, holds meaning, and becomes a place of substance, of beauty, of expression, a place where mere words become vessels treading great waters. Sail that sea on your own, for in discovery you find yourself, and, in finding yourself, grow beyond the immaturity surrounding you.

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

You'd be writing poetry for all the wrong reasons then - with the intention of saying anything, rather than saying something. And from the rest of your post it's clear you don't know how poetry works, and without this you are (I must be blunt) doomed to failure.

Honestly, these girls sound like bullies. They are not worth paying attention to.

1 person likes this.
  8. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

Um OK. It wasn't meant to be an attack. I was honestly trying to help. The OP could have used the situation to their advantage. Don't you think people who taunt others have deeper feelings of insecurity? Most people cut people down to make themselves feel better because they are insecure.

I write poetry. I know my best work is when I express my feelings. I also write to try to change other people's feelings. My post was a simple push in that direction. Emotion is extremely important to the process and your blatant sheltering is hindering the process.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as a long time serious poet and mentor to many aspiring ones, i have to ditto all lemex just said!

10. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Poetry is a creative medium, not a proving ground. Ignore them and find a better reason to really write.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Poetry doesn't come from trying to please someone else. Poetry comes from unleashing the inner voices, from the most diffident to the most savage.

Also, depth can be in the eye of the beholder. Shallow minds will never know what depth looks like even if they are drowning in it.