1. Gringoamericano

Gringoamericano New Member

Common elements of films from the 1990s?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Gringoamericano, May 13, 2012.

(I don't know if this goes here, so correct me if it's in the wrong category).

I am working on a webcomic script that takes place in 1998, and satirizes anime and the 1990s while seeming like (the comic version of) a film from said decade. What are common elements of movies from that decade?

2. MissRis

MissRis New Member

Depends on the genre of film doesn't it? Can you give me some more specifics?

3. live2write

live2write Senior Member

I agree with MissRiss, it depends on the genre of film.

My suggestion is to look at films that were released in the 1990s. Films always revolve around the time period, what is trending and what can inspire the future. I do have knowledge in filmmaking and films (graduated art school with degree in Photography and Filmmaking) and as a note my descriptions of films in that decade are both from observation and opinion.

CGI was in it's toddler years and rapidly growing. I am mentioning this because it did have an effect on what kinds of films were released.

This was also a time period where films from the late 80s rolled over into the 90s and there were sequels made that were a reflection of the original but evolved with the time period it was created.

The film could not rely on CGI to make the story or to add embellishments. The screen writers and directors had to tell the story through the events the viewer was experiencing. This is with every film but when watching films today I am too overwhelmed with the special effects that I am wowed by how it is created rather than how it is told. Also this was a time period where the Motion Picture Society was changing the ways Filmmakers made films.

I would not say it is 100% of their doing but the audience had an impact as well. Films in the 80s, 70s, and 60s and going backwards were being labeled as being politically incorrect according to our standards today. Especially in the 80s where it was a "care free" lifestyle, we learned through the events that happened in that decade that things had to change.

I would strongly recommend finding films in the 90s (wikipedia has a list if you google it) and watch them. I could recommend you a list of films that could help you but again I do not know what genre you are looking for or if it is just a general question.

4. Afion

Afion New Member

You could watch some yourself to find out. It sounds like a good exuse to spend an evening watching films :)

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

www.imdb.com is a valuable resource for all things film-related...