1. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

Book Trailers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NateSean, Apr 9, 2011.

It seems like movie style trailers for books are all the rage on Youtube. Some of them really do seem to suck you in to the story. Would you ever consider doing a "book trailer" for any of your works?

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Yes - the Romance genre is doing it and generally when it comes to technology and its usage they tend to be the first to do anything like this.

When I get a book published I fully intend to do one.

3. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I don't get book trailers. The blurb is the trailer for me, it gives you an idea of what to expect.

4. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Depends. In my opinion some of the James Patterson trailers on TV are kind of cheesy (plus the narrator's voice creeps me out), but if it was well-made with good music, I'd be all for it.

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Book trailers in of themselves don't seem to sell a novel to readers, but they are a marketing tool that can help to convince (or the opposite) a reader to purchase/read a work who's already paying attention--or maybe to garner intitial interest.

I just haven't come across readers/folks who said in isolation, "Came across the trailer and had to have the book." Exept once: That was with Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

It's never happened like that with my book trailer that I know of, but mine isn't nearly as good. So at least in my limited experience, it does happen.

So, as the OP asked, would one consider doing a book trailer? Sure, nothing wrong with doing one--unless it's so bad it's a turn off to readers.

6. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

See I live in a college town, mostly. And that college has a big theater and AV department. So for me, if I were going to do a trailer I would probably seek the assistance of students who need the practice in front of a camera.

I'd probably have more leeway to do this if I went the self publishing route. And I'd be recognized as an author who tries to better the community through giving students an opportunity!

(That may be me stroking my ego abit, but, you know, egos are there for a reason.)

7. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I never got the point of book trailers myself, but when the school book fair used to come around in middle school and elementary school (they don't have them at high school :( ) they would show us videos with book trailers.

8. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

I'm actually working on a book trailer myself.

Have to finish a few sketches first but I know exactly what it needs and the script is finished.

Soon... Soon.

9. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

My partner has had a few made for his books now. They are brilliant. One of them is literally like a trailer for a movie, it's so damn impressive. I want him to re-release the story just so we can use the trailer again. hahaha! Trailers are great and definitely worth putting together if done correctly.

10. FlashNinja

FlashNinja New Member

Most book trailers I've ever seen are either potray the book as un-intresting or just plain silly. I'm not really fond of them.

11. len_ryuka

len_ryuka New Member