1. Flame Blade

Flame Blade New Member

Info on vampires, werewolves, etc.

Discussion in 'Research' started by Flame Blade, Dec 10, 2008.

I've been working on a book series that involves vampires, werewolves, shape-shifters, fairies, and tons of other things that fall into the 'monster' category or something like that, and I've been looking for websites or books that have information on these creatures and other creatures that I could add to this whole thing. It's sort of hard to explain, and writing out a list of everything would take a while. But what I'm most concerned with finding information about is a Vampiric-Lycan (Vampire-Werewolf) hybrid. I haven't really been able to find any good information about it. Any suggestions?

2. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

They aren't real creatures; therefore, you don't have to follow the same ideas everyone else has. You are free to make up your own information regarding them.

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Search before posting (just advice, don't mean it in a mean way): Vampires

We probably have on on werewolves somewhere too. Essentially all you need for a werewolf to be a werewolf is that it shifts back and forth from human and wolf forms. Likewise a vampire only really needs to suck something from other living things to survive (emotion or spiritual energy, blood, etc). Other than that you really do have free reign over the matter. There are many classical beliefs on these two creatures but they vary widely. You may want to consider where you're vampires/wolves are from and take that into consideration for you're portrayal but overall you really do have free reign.

4. Flame Blade

Flame Blade New Member

I'm hoping to stick more to folklore and old vampire/werewolf legends and stuff...So anything like that would help too

5. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

The legends vary far to widely for anyone to give a definitive answer (especially for werewolves who can be anything from angelic protectors to magicians, to monsters, to satanic worshipers depending on what folklore you look at).

For vampires the one's I know best are Romania Hungry and Greek legends, though i know they exist in the middle east, africa, china, and south america (no idea about australia north america or other parts of asia. Wouldn't be surprised if they did have legends of their own).

Try wikipedia and look at some of the references and extended links on the page. It could help you find websites and books for your research.

6. Flame Blade

Flame Blade New Member

Okay, I'll try that even though I normally don't use Wikipedia for anything. I'll see what I can find when I get time...

7. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Try monstropedia too.

8. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Just a side note: Wikipedia is not the best source of information, just a easy starting point where you may find resources in the Wikipedia Articles resources and extended links sections. The wikia sites however are often fan operated, and will tend to be even less reliable than normal Wikipedia. Some never cite sources (this will vary by article and even the wiki) so just keep an eye out.

9. Flame Blade

Flame Blade New Member

I've been to Monstropedia, but I don't recall having searched through it all that much. It's in my favorites, so I'll do more research there when I have time...I'm studying for semester finals, so I don't have a whole lot of free time.