Vampires

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Agent Vatani, Jan 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

This thread reminds me of the old Mighty Max cartoon. Anyone ever watch that? I remember there was an episode where Max and his mentor were hunting a vampire. They kept expecting it to be like the vampires of lore (have fangs to suck blood through, turn into bats, etc). Then they started finding weird things like all the victims only had one hole puncture in their neck. By the end of the episode they discovered most of the vampire myths were wrong. And vampires turned into mosquitos, rather than bats. :)

2. afrodite7

afrodite7 New Member

-well,try something you haven't seen.

-my vampires,for example,are aliens.they can see their reflections and don't have to kill their victims.

-how often do you see vampire space aliens?

also,this doesn't take place on earth (a rarity!)

the planet is inhabited by witches,warlocks,vampires,elves,wraiths,nephilim,furry people.

write a story when a character just happens to be a vampire,not a vampire story...get it? :)

3. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

The vampire scene is going to come crashing down, just like the economy did. If you dig vampires, enjoy the moment, because the sun will rise and boil them all into a pulpy mess of undead blood.

4. Mystic_snowfang

Mystic_snowfang New Member

In my story there are several different types of vampire. However only three (maybe four) can be considered true vampires. (that is being undead or lacking a soul)

The real question is weather Nosfrai are vampires or zombies... or some odd cross of the two (they come from a turning gone wrong). And weather the almost all female Lamia (who are still alive, but are soulless demon worshipers) count (other vampires don't think so, however the Lamia think they are vampires).

There are other blood drinking beings, but they evolved naturally (diverging from humans to cope with a very harsh climate) and become very... upset (understatement) if you call them a vampire.

5. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Pulpy mess of undead blood man, pulpy mess of undead blood. ;)

6. Anonym

Anonym New Member

Those that are into vamps despite the flooded literary market will - presumably - still be into vamps. Those that aren't, will continue being not.

No offense, but I've never taken the vampiphile crowd in general as particularly literarily critical. I doubt they'd get hung up on how unique your blood-sucker in compared to so&so's. There's a stereotype about undiscerning, teenage vampire/twilight fans for a reason.

7. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

I bet they would get hung up on it. They'd argue about it whilst drinking blood (grape juice.)

8. Lothgar

Lothgar New Member

I must disagree on this point. The fan base of vampire fiction is a little more complex than you portray it.

I've always been a fan of a good, classic vampire tale of gothic horror. I really enjoyed the Anne Rice vampire novels back in the day, but I am no fan at all of the twilight non-sense.

I appreciate a vampire character that is depicted as the classical horror he is supposed to be. Give me the timeless undead that didn't learn history from books, but lived it firsthand...a vampire that is as ancient as the land, walking the earth before the birth of the modern day religions, and thus is not particularly impressed with them or their ideologies...a vampire that possesses the wisdom of an eternity of experiences, giving him seemingly godlike understanding of the world that mere mortals could never attain, due to their pathetically short lifespans...give me a vampire that views all of humanity as what they truly are...not the "Highest" order of life, not ordained by God to rule the earth, not possessed of manifest destiny to do great things...but basic cattle, short lived animals that serve only one purpose to the vampire...Food.

That is my idea of good gothic horror.