Tags:
  1. DevelopingStudent

DevelopingStudent New Member

Vanishing American Hobo

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by DevelopingStudent, May 10, 2009.

How should I structure my essay for Vanishing American Hobo of 2009?
    In class we just finished up Jack Kerouac's Vanishing American Hobo and the professor simply asked me to write about the "Vanishing American Hobo of 2009". The course is American Lit II and will require a well written paper. I am not exactly sure what he is looking for... Compare/contrast? Or just today's Hobo? Should I mimic the writing style of Jack? I am in need of some topic sentences and overall advice about the structure of the paper...

2. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Senior Member

The overall structure needs to be intro, body, and conclusion.

I'd suggest first finding some quotes that you'll add to the paper, ones that you can make points out of. These need to be important quotes that make bold statements about the book. Personally, I find quotes first and then make a topic out of them.

Then, take the first quote and write a paragraph on that quote. Write a paragraph for each of the other quotes, too. Try to make the paragraphs flow into one another.

This will be your body.

After you're done writing the body, add on an introduction right before it that explains what you are going to talk about (your points).

When you're finished with the intro, then at the end of the body tack on the conclusion which will wrap the paper up, tie the points together, or whatever your paper needs to feel complete.

As for your points, you can compare and contrast, but since I don't know the book, then I can't help you with that part.

3. DevelopingStudent

DevelopingStudent New Member

I understand basic structure but my question is; what should I write about?

Here is Jack Kerouac's Vanishing American Hobo: <link removed>

When my professor says, "Write a essay on the vanishing american hobo of 2009", I am unclear of his expectations. I am unable to contact my professor and need to decide on how I want to write this paper. I am looking for suggestions on what I should write about and how or if I should relate it to Jack Kerouac's version

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm sorry. If you want to discuss general essay structure, we can help with that. But we will NOT help you construct the essay points, in accordance with he site rules. This is your school assignment.