1. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Celebrity Chefs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Banzai, Jul 11, 2010.

I'm currently sat here watching Heston Blumenthal's "In Search of Perfection", and he's mad. Brilliant, but utterly stark raving bonkers.

And I was wondering, what celebrity chefs are there in other countries? There are quite a selection in the UK, but has anyone in the US, Australia, or other countries, ever heard of the likes of Heston, Jamie Oliver, the Hairy Bikers, Delia Smith etc? I know people have heard of (and can't stand) Gordon Ramsey, but what about others?

And what celebrity chefs are big in other countries?

2. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Heston Blumenthal's was on Master chef Australia. hadn't heard of him before, but afterwards i figured his was a frigging legend! I really want to eat his food, really.

Jamie Oliver, love the man. Saw him in Sydney not long ago. I love what he stands for. unlike Gordon Ramsey who has bugger all talent. Maybe he did once, but his nothing but ego, and a bad one at that.

I only just started watching the hairy bikers the other day...i changed the channel.

There is also a show with 2 women who have a cooking show. Bugger if i can remember though.

The only Australian celebrity chef i can think of is, Curtis Stone. Doing it big in America now (was on Celebrity Apprentice)

Others i watch on Aussie television are

Maggie Beer and Simon Bryant (Television show, Cook & Chef)

Margaret Fulton and Matt Moran (later is always on MasterChef Australia).

EDIT

OMG, i forgot Peter Russell Clarke!! I'm not sure if he was British or an Australia. It was so long ago, but everyone out here knew who the man was!

My friend Wiki, says Australian.

3. Banzai

You didn't like the Hairy Bikers? How come?

4. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Probably cause i never really gave them a chance to be honest.

Nothing wrong with them, but half of tv these days is cooking. I can only have so many i like now! ;)

5. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

In Belgium we've got Peter Goosens and Sergio Herman- those are the only two worthy of the name top chef in Belgium, imo.

As for as chefs in the UK, I do like Heston Blumenthal, but I prefer "normal" cooking about all the experimental-science stuff that he does (though I must say he's very good at it).

I like watching the Hairy Bikers, but Master Chef (UK version) definitely beats that. I already learned lots of stuff watching. I haven't seen Gregg Wallace cook, but John Torode is awesome at it.
    Oh, and it's one of the few cooking shows that don't let the viewers decide who's best, which makes it even better for me.

6. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I didn't recognize any of those (except Gordon Ramsey, of course) that you listed, but that could be because I don't know many chef names.

The main cooking show that I watch is actually America's Next Food Network Star, so that doesn't give me a whole lot of insight into who the celebrity chefs are...just the up-and-coming (they hope) ones. I like watching Bobby Flay, though. I guess we have people like Martha Stewart and Rachel Raye, but I don't like them...they irritate me.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Martha Stewart is the Devil's dominatrix, the only thing that terrifies him.

I cannot stand Gordon Ramsey. I'm surprised no one has stuffed his head into a running food processor yet.

There is no current individual chef I adulate. Many of them have specialties I go for, but none have an across-the-board excellence. But I do miss the late, great Julia Child. She taught us to try everything, and to laugh through the inevitable mishaps.

8. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

Julia Child is up there with my favorites.

I also like Rick Moonen a lot, he is a renowned seafood chef who deals with sustainable fishing resources. He also has ADD and I relate that that; he works the same way in the kitchen that I do.

Tyler Florence, he's a TV chef but every single one of his recipes is fantastic.

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I like Jamie Oliver - he makes everything look easy. Also Mario Batali.

I actually like Gordon Ramsay, too, but not on his Hell's Kitchen show. I like his Kitchen Nightmares show.

10. Banzai

There's a show over here, on Saturday mornings, called "Saturday Kitchen", and it's probably one of my favourite cookery shows. It intermixes live studio cooking and discussion, with archive clips from various chefs' shows, including Heston, Hairy Bikers, Rick Stein, and a whole load whose names I don't know.

11. MissBelle

MissBelle New Member

And that is why I Love her. If I could be anyone for a day, I would be her. And the last thing I would ever want to do is work for her, that must be HELL.

I love barefoot contessa, Ina Garten. She is just so classy.

12. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I know of Delia Smith only from a reference in an episode of Absolutely Fabulous.

Bubbles ~ "Did you make all this?"

Saffron ~ "Not the salads, those are Delia Smith's"

Bubbles ~ "Does she know you've got them?"

Other than that, I am not too hip on celebrity chefs. Gordon has dominated the market when it comes to TV here in the states. There was once that choad who would say BAM! for everything. Don't remember his name. Don't really care. He was annoying.

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Emeril Lagasse. He's a one trick pony.