?

Do you want to read more of this progress journal?

Poll closed Aug 26, 2014.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. friendly_meese

friendly_meese Member

Verbal Diary-ea: The Progress Journal of Kheleya Fahrmann

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by friendly_meese, Aug 6, 2014.

[see next post]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. friendly_meese

friendly_meese Member

Not sure I'm allowed to tell you this on CWF, or whether this is the right subforum, but I finally decided to take my diary public. About 16 hours ago, before going to bed, I started a blog at kheleya dot wordpress dot com. So far it has five blog posts in four categories and 10 followers, but it's still early.

In other news, I met a former professional web designer who now offers to do his work for free (as long as you cover your own webhosting and associated costs). We're discussing him designing a website on my currently parked domain, kheleya dot com, where I can not only move my blog but offer my fiction for download under a noncommercial open source licence or on a voluntary donations basis. I have about 30 or 40 short stories that I could make available on the website, but I want to go slow and do it right.

In the meantime the web designer got admin access to my wordpress blog so he can make it look a bit better, as I have no eye or head whatsoever for visual things.

3. friendly_meese

friendly_meese Member

The blog is going great. Already eight posts in about 36 total hours. It has completely replaced my private diary and is a solid public archive for the kind of writing I want to do. In those 36 hours also 21 hits and 13 followers.

No word from the web designer in the past 24 hours, after a rapid flurry of emails. At his request, I gave him administrator access to my blog, and he is supposed to improve its look and presentation, but hasn't done so yet. Probably busy with other things, and it is the weekend.

peachalulu likes this.
  4. friendly_meese

friendly_meese Member

Nine posts and 18 followers right now. I took a break from making new posts between about 6 pm yesterday and about 10 am today. Google appears to have indexed the blog, so that, when you search for "Kheleya Fahrmann," some of the posts now appear in the search results. I've had two readers find me through Google searches so far, one in Ireland and one here in Canada.

I changed my blog's appearance theme so that it looks and reads better. I still need to do some more tweaking in order to get it to look its best, and the web designer needs to get back to me about customization ideas. But it's still very early days and things are going well.

5. friendly_meese

friendly_meese Member

I changed my blog theme and organization once again, converting my very first post and modifying it into a static home page with a second page of links to all the posts, with side widgets for contact, categories and other things. I also deleted an old post that I didn't like any more and wrote three others. At the end of the day, I had cause to dust off an old short story from 2006 and rewrite it for inclusing as the latest blog post.

Today another 18 hits from 9 visitors. The numbers might be higher except that I had been making a major mistake: including my entire blog post in my notification emails rather than just the first few lines with a Read More link. I now have 21 followers, one tweet, one retweet, and one trackback, which was my first-ever comment. I'll see how things look on the stats side of things once the Monday-morning blog-reading rush happens.

Not sure links are allowed, and if they aren't the moderator can delete this one, but the blog is at: http://kheleya.wordpress.com/

6. friendly_meese

friendly_meese Member

There was no Monday-morning blog-reading rush, but there was something of a rush later in the day. I made three new posts for a total of 13. The blog got 56 hits from 24 visitors, for a total of 110 hits over four days. So far this morning, it has another 14 hits from four more visitors, and the fact that the average visitor is now viewing about four pages is encouraging. I now have 32 followers.

I've also made contact with some other bloggers who are very much worth staying in contact with. There is a wealth of fascinating information online if you look for it.

7. friendly_meese

friendly_meese Member

A new high yesterday, with 71 views from 20 visitors. There's a wealth of new comments as well, and now 37 followers. I made only two new posts yesterday but one more this morning. But it's still very early.

8. friendly_meese

friendly_meese Member

Been a while since I've posted here, and there's lots of news.

I found that I was doing regular blog posts and still doing a bit of writing in an offline diary, so the blog is now called "The Compleat Netizen."

The blog set a new record of 138 daily views on Monday. Over the past four days it has had at least 100 views each day and is very close to having 1,000 in total. I now have 88 blog followers and another 8 through social media, which I don't make all that much use of.

Especially heartening is that I've acquired a hard core of about a dozen people who read every word I write and often comment. These people are in eight or nine different countries. Thrre is also a variety of more casual readers who stop in from time to time. I'm developing a readership, and, most significantly, it's MY readership, the kind who enjoy and benefit from the kind of stuff I really want to write. It's pretty fulfilling.

I wrote a post on my current writing activities and tried to share it on this forum. I'll see whether anyone is interested.