1. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.

Verbs

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Hwaigon, Dec 29, 2014.

I remember a section in a fantasy magazine where writers gave advice. One of those pieces of advice was:

Verbs make for action, action makes for interest, interest makes for curiosity, curiosity for futher reading.

Do you agree?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

To an extent, yes, I agree. A lot of stories I critique are bogged down with exposition (info-dump) at the beginning of a story. The only verbs in sight are copula verbs, which are not the kind of verbs mentioned in your quote, and it's like being handed ingredients, one by one, that I am expected to carry in just my hands - no basket, no counter, no cart - just my hands, and I don't even know what these ingredients are going to be used for because I have yet to be told what's for dinner tonight! Nope, here, just keep piling these ingredients into your arms. You can manage. Don't drop any.

peachalulu likes this.
  3. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Apt metaphor. I bear that in mind when writing my current story.
    If you agree to an extent, what is the other portion of it you have a different idea about?

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

As long as you pick the right verb. I've seem a lot of newbies undo their writing with a lot of to be verbs - was, am, stationary verbs and a lot of them to set up a scene. Like a camera panning over a stagnant image. Or if they do pick the odd action verb it may not befit their context.
    It's like the simple sentence of -
    He moved. Moved is not concrete - it creates doubt in the readers mind. How did he move? The readers ask. But with context - he moved can be absolutely perfect. As it creates the necessary subtly the context could need. A lot of newbies grab these generic umbrella verbs but they don't have the context to clear up the image.

He ran. Is a concrete action verb easy for the reader to imagine. Perfect when you want to direct your reader and give them a clear image.

He ambled. Is concrete as well - but I separate it from ran because it's one of those words that appear in thesaurus' and if the connotation isn't used properly it can trip up a sentence. The writer would be better off using something as dry as moved rather than ambled without the context.

Also newbies tend to bury verbs. I.e. - She, the little girl who lived down the lane, was walking towards the small, ramshackle store with quarters in her pocket to buy a popsicle. 'was walking' isn't necessarily. I always find was walking sounds as if it's about to be interrupted by another action - as in... she was walking when a car struck her. Walked would be better. It's not that these sentences are wrong it's that often they're not changed up. - Jill walked to the store, jingling the change in her pocket. Just enough for a popsicle. ( and the ramshackle store can be described later. Over jamming a sentence doesn't let the verbs shine. )

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The other side of me caveats that any rule taken to either extreme is bad. Moderation in all things.

peachalulu and Hwaigon like this.
  6. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

"Moderation in all things."

Sagacious words.