1. Gammer

Gammer Active Member

Very Fustrating Creative Rut

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Gammer, Jan 7, 2010.

I've been trying to work on this story for a long while. I have all these ideas and know exactly what i want, but lately I've run into this weird rut that I can't seem to get out of.

I sit down to write with all my idea in my head, but when I try to get them down it just feels all I'm writing is crap, and doesn't sound like what i was thinking at all. And after two or three hours I only have like one page that I'm still not sure about.

Then when I step back from it for a long while I feel really unaccomplished and lazy. Yet when I try again I run into the above problem.

I've tried reading my favorite books, watching my favorite movies, walking, basically anything to get my creative flair back, but I keep running into the first problem.

Any suggestions cause it's really starting to piss me off.

2. Empyrean

Empyrean Member

Try looking at the work from a different view. Different point of view, perhaps start in the middle of action, ect.

Stab at it from different perspectives, you'll eventually crack it.

3. bux

bux Member

I'm having this same problem and have been having this problem for a long time on one story. So I've dropped the story and have focused on others until I get the same enthusiasm that spawned the original idea, which may never come but you can't allow your own story to consume you and if it is, try focusing on one part of the story that makes you want to write and take it from there.

In my experience, the story I'm writing is a tad overwhelming in terms of it's charecters and plot, when I couldn't write the story it made me feel worthless and in some cases the story took on it's own lifeform and began irritating me. When your own story irritates you it's time for a break.

Good luck.

4. jwatson

jwatson Active Member

Just keep writing is all I can suggest

5. Coldwriter

Coldwriter Contributing Member

Some say in an idealistic bubble they cant wait to
    I'd say that's encouraging. Yeah, it sounds lame and cliche even, but keep at and writing. If you know what you want, it should come out. I think what your comments reminded me of are times I see or hear a scene or few lines and it works perfectly in my head and then I sit down and right it, and it's like a 8th grader wrote it. Then I sigh and wonder how it's so hard to simply write the thought out. That's the skill of a writer. Putting the thoughts down.

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Don't worry so much about how it is now since it's only a first draft. As you think of more things to write and better ways to write the things you've already written, the story will get a lot better. I'm speaking from experience. My first drafts are full of plot holes and poor writing. But after a few revisions everything starts coming together.

7. bluebell80

bluebell80 Contributing Member

Sometimes when ideas overwhelm me so much so that I can't actually sit down to write anything (which it happens to me too,) I try writing out the ideas in a rough outline kind of page. I put the bullets on and write out one sentence to describe the scenes I have running through my head. I don't write them in order, I just write them to get them on the page. Don't worry how crappy these sentences are, or anything grammatical or of that nature, just write a single sentence that sums up the scene and move on to the next.

Once you have all the ideas you have going on in your head on paper, you can choose one to tackle first. It doesn't have to be in any order, or if you prefer, rearrange the single sentences into the order you would like to see them appear in the story, and work from there, either from the beginning or middle. I tend to avoid writing endings first, because I find when I do, I loose all interest in the story and never go back to it. But, you may have no problem such as this.

Also, don't overanalyze your first draft. Write the crap out first, then you'll hit gold. Most writers I've known or read about agree that writing about 200,000 words worth of crap in the beginning is to be expected. Think of how many short stories it takes to fill up 200,000 words worth of crap! lol It's a lot of writing.

What I'm trying to say is don't worry so much. The gold is in there, you just have to wade through the crap first to get to it. We all go through it and most of us are still in it, so you're not alone. I write stuff frequently that I look at later and just shake my head and sigh at how crappy it is. But then there are other times I read something I've written and get the "wow, I can't believe I wrote that!" feeling. Those times are what continue to inspire the writer to keep writing. Knowing there are nuggets of gold in them there hills of crap keep the writer going, and it will keep you going, just don't give up. Keep writing.

8. writewizard

writewizard Contributing Member

If you cannot work on the story, then try working on another story. I write a different list of twelve things that could possibly happen next and see which one fits.

9. Nervous1st

Nervous1st Senior Member

I would try, as Bluebell said, to break it down and work on one scene at a time, instead of trying to tackle 'a novel'. Sometimes if I'm stuck in someplace, ill go and work on another scene.

Also, don't read your favourite books or watch your favourite movies, why don't you try some new material to help you get inspired. Write down some new quotes and work on them until you come up with something of your own.

Good luck.

10. SurrealOdyssey

SurrealOdyssey Member

Great post, and I particularly identify with the bolded stuff. :)