1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Veteran's Day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Nov 11, 2009.

Today is Veteran's day in the U.S. The day we reserve to honor those citizens
    who chose or who were chosen to serve in the defense of their nation.

I salute you, fellow veterans of all nations!

2. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Hear, hear!

[​IMG]

A big thanks to everyone who served/serves!

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It troubles me that this is one of the "minor" holidays in the States. Most businesses don't even observe it at all. Veterans are often treated as second class citizens, or as ticking time bombs.

I hope people take the time to think of the sacrifices veterans have made to make our way of life possible. In a way, it's a good thing that our lives are not dominated by fear of war and senseless destruction. It is a testament to the success of our troops that we can enjoy such a life. Still, I wish for everyone to appreciate those men and women who have made this possible, and not merely for one or two days each year.

Thank you, every one of you who has placed his or her life at risk so that freedom continues to ring out loud and clear.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Um... That almost made me cry. :redface:

*grabs one of Rob's generously offered beers and puts on my best manly face*

5. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

I could say so much...but I will make it simple.

Too all of the men and woman who give or have given themselves for the greater cause, Thank you so much. Our lives are made better by your dedication to duty and service.

6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

My grandfathers on both sides fought in WWII, and my great uncle fought in Vietnam.

Oh, and Cogito? You took the words right out of my mouth. It pities me that Americans demand buisnesses and schools to run on this day, this one special day when we could remember the veterans who shed blood, tears, even their lives so that we don't live under the boot of opression and tyranny.

7. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Internet hugs go out to all of you on the forum who have fought for our country. I'm so proud of and grateful to all of you for your bravery and the sacrifices you have made!

8. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I'm heading over to the service right now.

9. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Love and respect to all our American and Commonwealth allies.

10. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Thank you so much for everything you have sacrificed and done that allows us to live the way we do

11. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I'm stunned today. My local (uber-liberal) California school district took Veterans Day as a holiday. Is it true? Are they offering respect to the men and women that they usually scorn openly? I must admit my skepticism about the school district's motives. They aren't even flying the flag as half-staff in respect for the soldiers murdered at Fort Hood. I'll bet their "observance" was just another convenient excuse for the teachers' union to demand more time off...right up their with money demands, better health benefits and earlier retirement triggers.

No matter what the district's perverted motives, the children are getting some kind of message about our veterans. If they get time off for dead presidents, labor unions and Thanksgiving, then there must be something special about veterans. I can hear some kid now, "Cool. Time off from homework, tests and boring lectures...these veterans must be important. Now, where's my iPod? I gotta text Jane..."

Happy Veterans Day to my fellow vets.

Hey Link, you said, "...my great uncle fought in Vietnam." So did I...and I'm still young (at heart)...you make us sound like we're a hundred years old...LOL

12. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

I'm suprised by how many people are saying that their local schools don't have the day off. My school district has the day off and I've never been a school that doesn't have it off. I find that interesting.

13. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Here, we don't have the day off at schools partly because they do so many activities AT school on the day. If the schools were closed, too many kids who use it as an excuse to be lazy, not take the time to pay their respects. Not enough parents would take the time, either.

14. Link the Writer

Sorry, I didn't mean that. XD What rank were/are you?

And school's kinda weird about that sort of thing. I wouldn't worry about it. Just know that we are all grateful for what you and the other men and women did for us. *salutes you and everyone else* I know this is gonna sound childish, but Veterans day celebrates all the veterans of all the American wars starting with the Revolution, right? Just wondering.

EDIT: omg, the Hour the First World War ended is over. I missed it!! D= It's 12:00 over here!!!

15. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

No offense taken, Link. The sad truth is that I and my fellow Vietnam soldiers ARE getting old. Over the years, I've lost buddies to vehicle accidents, one fell off a ladder, another died from a gunshot wound (yes, suicide) and another died by blunt head trauma (wife hit him with a baseball bat as he slept after she found out about his affair.) Point is, all the deaths had nothing to do with age. Today, I'm losing buddies to heart attacks, long term effects of diabetes, cancer, one guy had a brain aneurism...old age diseases. And, we all talk about more about our grandkids than our kids. So, "old" is a reality...I just don't like to admit it! LOL

I was a grunt...that's an enlisted man. Made sergeant twice while in Nam...lost it for fighting...twice. I was on a black ops team and after several weeks on deep recon missions, I was kind of hard to get along with, especially after a few beers. Still hard to get along with but I don't drink any more...LOL.

Yes, Veterans Day honors ALL veterans who have served their country. To me, that includes Confederate soldiers who fought for the South in the Civil War.

16. Link the Writer

That is sad. :( I hope things are doing okay for you. I appreciate how you're taking the time to tell me about your time in the army.

And yeah, I give the Confederates a pass too, because since Veterans Day is, imho, an American holiday and the Confederates were Americans too, they're cool.

17. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

While in public school, I never gave Veteran's Day a second thought, like most kids I assume, and while I am not originally from this nation, I can quite understanding the sacrifices that were made and continue to be made to this day. And Cogito's thought on second class citizens seems quite true. My next door neighbor was a veteran I believe, of the Greek military of WWII.

18. Marshmallow

Marshmallow New Member

Ha, but we get off for labor day. I love this country.

19. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Thank you to my two grandpas, who fought in Vietnam and are both still going strong here today. Thank you to all the soldiers in every previous war, living and dead. Freedom isn't free, but we can never forget you and we can never thank you enough for the sacrifices you made without once asking what was in it for yourselves. You did it for your country, your families, and for your brothers and sisters in the Armed Forces who were fighting by your side physically, and your fallen comrades who were fighting with you spiritually. We'll never forget, and we love you!

The only easy day was yesterday.
    Not self but country.
    Service before self.
    Always ready.
    Always faithful.

20. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Same here, instead of a day off most of Remembrance Day was spent in activities and a ceremony. While it was still technically a school day, it was in no way a normal day or 'minor' holiday and I couldn't imagine the schools handling it any differently. Thanks to all our troops and veterans.

21. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

When I wished my dad a happy Veteran's Day, he said I was the first person ALL DAY to acknowledge that.

...You're right, Cog, Veteran's are horribly under-appreciated. I come from a long line of soldiers who did and didn't make it back to home... so this day means a lot to me. Happy Veterans Day. :D

22. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Just read something yesterday in Times Online about the work of the British Legion. They help ex-soldiers and try to keep people aware of situation of ex-soldiers. Sometimes the rep from the British Legion is the only mourner at the grave of a decorated WW2 soldier. I couldn't remember if there is an organization like that in the States?

23. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Probably a few. I know my uncle, a Vietnam Veteran, is a member of a Veteran organization called the American Legion.