1. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

Have you ever...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sweetchaos, Jan 5, 2009.

been listening to a piece of music and suddenly the perfect scene unfolds in your mind? I can't say it's happened to often, but not moments ago, on of the ending scenes of my current novel just came together. It's perfect! :)

Now, I just have to get the movies scene in my head and make it as powerful in words as it would be in visuals. HAHA

I'm excited.

Oh, and the piece I was listening to was "Comptine D'un Autre Ate: L'apres Midi" by Yann Tiersen. It has to be one of my absolute favourite piano pieces. The emotion in it is amazing. Brings tears to my eyes every time... even if that does sound cheesy. lol

2. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

There's a number of songs that inspire me to write something in particular... most of them are just current top songs that strike a chord with me... two of them are forever by chris brown and viva la vida by coldplay.

3. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

yay~ amelie soundtrack! i also love that song!

This is my main problem - never translates to paper well from my head :(

But yeah, I can see things with music playing - usually soundtracks :)

4. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I often envision scenes in my stories taking place to music that I like, though usually I have a general idea of how I want the scene to play out before I listen to the music. Still, the right music can help bring the scene to life in my mind.

I tend to "recycle" the same songs for different scenes, if I really like them. :redface:

5. rory

rory Active Member

This just happened for me too, thanks to Rammstein! I think my play count is well over 20.

6. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

It’s such a nice feeling when the scene just unfolds in your head! Music is a great vehicle for that. I’m not sure if an entire scene has ever popped out, but certainly feelings find their way into my narrative.

BTW cheesy is good.

7. jwilder

jwilder New Member

This happens to me all the time. I call them "soundtrack moments" - the music suddenly becomes the soundtrack to the scene playing in my mind, and then I go and write the scene with the music as a catalyst. I love when that happens. Soundtracks to life make life so much more interesting!

8. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I've had this happen a few times, although not too often and it wasn't always for a story I was writing. But I did hear a song around the same time I was writing a really difficult scene and it just fit in so darn perfectly.

9. othman

othman New Member

I don't get that happening when listening to music but on lonesome dog walks usually.

Oh and couldn't you call it an epiphany...

10. kyle777

kyle777 Member

I get that a lot. Usually when listening to music without words. It actually can really help when creating scenes. I tend to listen to different movie scores when my imagination runs dry.

11. lovely

lovely New Member

Sometimes I listen to music that I think would really fit my characters' attitudes. This helps a lot when I feel stuck. The lyrics and the music itself just seem to help me figure out how characters might react to certain situations.

12. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

When I hear songs I can see the action unfold easily.

It's like a movie with a very cool soundtrack playing behind it.

One time I was writing a scene and ended up writing a song as well cause one popped in my head with words and music that would fit the scene I was writing perfectly.

13. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Yes! Music, especially symphonies, instrumental and speed metal pieces, get me in a "imagining" sort of mode. I rely on it a lot (to plan, not to actually write) but it helps out a lot.

14. Forgetmenot77

Forgetmenot77 Member

Is that a classical piece?? I've been listening to classical music for while and it is so soothing especially when everything is so hectic at work.