?

Please select which intro you would like to continue for the next short story contest

Poll closed Apr 9, 2010.
  1. 1) I didn't follow a rabbit ...

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. 2) ... I've got a surprise for you.

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. 3) The call crackled through the radio.

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. 4) ... the last thing I do.

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gannon

Gannon Contributing Member Contributor

Vote for the theme of the next contest: Predetermined Intro

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest Archives' started by Gannon, Mar 30, 2010.

The next short story contest will again be themed "Predetermined Intro" by popular request. I have therefore just penned the below four scenarios (no critique or complaint please!).

Please vote for the intro you would like to continue for the next contest. The winning intro will become the next contest.

Entrants do not have to follow the intro verbatim. They may change it in terms of tense and person, but not overall theme.

1)
    I didn’t follow a rabbit, nor an ancient map. I have no spaceship, nor portal to another dimension. I could not be more awake. Yet, I find myself on shores far-flung and very foreign. Something … everything is not right. ​

2)
    “Did you think of anything yet? You know, for your birthday.”

Eighteen tomorrow, Lucille sat on her bed winding the phone line around her manicured fingers. She shifted her gum into her cheek listening.

“I could pick you around seven? I’ve got a surprise for you.”

She smiled. No, she thought, I’ve got a surprise for you. ​

3)
    The call crackled through the radio. The phony tip had come from downtown. Sergeant Brough stepped on it, his hunch had been correct though time was not on his side. His torn knuckles ached on the wheel. Powering through the empty streets his engine all but silenced the groaning from the backseat.​

4)
    “Hell, boy. What’ve I told you? Get in here.”

I didn’t want take the hard line, but under my roof it’s my rules. That was how it was when I was a boy and I now understood why. I’m old and he’s all I got. And by God, he’ll carry the name with honour if it’s the last thing I do. ​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.