?

What do you want to see moving forward with poetry contests?

Poll closed Oct 2, 2016.
  1. Audio Poetry Contests

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. 2 Poetry Contests Going at Once

18 vote(s)
    81.8%
  3. Shortened Poetry Contest Times (Reduced by One Week for both Submitting and Voting)

15 vote(s)
    68.2%
  4. Inclusion of Different Poetry Styles along with the Theme

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  5. Removal of Worded Theme Poetry Contests

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  6. "Author Specific" Poetry Contests

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  7. Publication of Previous Winner's Entries into a Poetry Book

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  8. "Author" of the Month

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  9. "Just for Fun Challenge" Poetry Contests

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contest Administrator Contributor

Closed Voting **Vote Now** Poetry Contest Revamp 2016!

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Poetry Contest' started by theoriginalmonsterman, Sep 27, 2016.

Welcome everyone to probably the second most important poll you'll be participating in this year (the other being the US presidential debate if you live in the US... oh boy...).

I figured that this would be an annual thing if that's cool with everyone. Basically every year I will go ahead and have a poll like this in which you guys can vote on what we add and remove from the poetry contests.

Since this is the first time we're going to be doing this there won't be as many suggestions in the poll as I want there to be, but that's to be expected since this is new.

Moving forward with the poetry contests I really want to get more involved with not just the poetry writing, but helping people to learn more about different type of poetry and different authors of poetry.

With that being said go ahead and vote! I will include a brief description of each suggestion below, but most of them are pretty straight forward.

Thanks to everyone who decides to vote and also a huge thanks to the community members that make these contests possible (these would seriously be nothing without you guys)! And also thanks to Wreybies for awarding the medals at the end of each contest!

~ Suggestion Descriptions ~

>> Audio Poetry Contests

These poetry contests will include a sound effect or song as a theme. Perhaps the sound of rain falling on a rooftop? Or maybe an old song from some ancient musical?

>> 2 Poetry Contests Going at Once

Basically how this would work is now every time a poetry contest shifts from the submitting phase to the voting phase another contest would start up, so there would never be a downtime for when you could submit something. I know a lot of people hate waiting to have to submit for the next contest, so I believe this would solve that issue.

>> Shortened Poetry Contest Times

How it currently works is every 3 weeks the poetry contest will either switch from the submitting phase to the voting phase or a new poetry contest will start up. A lot of people feel there's too much waiting time, so I believe reducing each phase (submitting and voting) by one week meaning that each would now work in a 2 week cycle would fix that issue.

>> Inclusion of Different Poetry Styles along with the Theme

Now instead of just having just a theme to go off of you'd have to go off a specific poetry style such as a Haiku or Sonnet. This can include any type of poetry style, so it can be easy or as challenging as you like.

>> Removal of Worded Theme Poetry Contests

This is obviously a bit weird to consider, but I've noticed people have taken a liking to the picture poetry contests a lot more. I feel just having worded themes are holding back people's imaginations, and pictures help to inspire people better than words. This is a more serious one to consider, but if we get enough votes to remove it I will.

>> "Author Specific" Poetry Contests

This idea was suggested by LinnyV in which the poetry contest focuses on a poem written by a specific author for the theme. The contest entries would be based around the poem featured, and could either mimic the author's style or be one's take on what the author tries to convey through their poetry. I felt this could be good since this would allow people to learn more about different authors of poetry to help give them a bit of educational value in these contests. If you want to go on to be an author yourself knowing about previous authors can prove to be very beneficial especially if we're talking about figures such as Shakespeare and Emily Dickinson.

>> Publication of Previous Winner's Entries into a Poetry Book

This is a weird idea, but I believe it could be a lot of fun if we do it. Every time we finish a poetry contest we have a bunch of fantastic poems that just end up laying around, so I thought why not make a book of the top three poems from each contest? The book would feature a bunch of poems from these contests we do on here, and any money we gain from it could go back into the forums. So it's a win, win for everyone! Of course we would need a lot of people's permission to use their poems, so it'd be a little tricky to pull off.

>> "Author" of the Month

We would essentially feature the winner of one of the contests, and have them discuss the inspiration for their poem, and maybe get people to critique it for themselves since we usually don't get to do that for contests since everything is anonymous.

>> "Just for Fun Challenge" Poetry Contests

These would be poetry contests that wouldn't run by any strict schedule. I'd do them every once in awhile just for fun, and would give people random guidelines to test people's writing skills. Perhaps one where you can only include a specific number of syllables in each line, or a specific number of nouns. It would just be for fun, so you'd get no medal if you win.

For a suggestion to be accepted it requires a minimum of 10 votes. You're allowed to vote on as many as you want, so don't limit yourself to what you vote for. This poll will close this Friday.

Once the poll has closed all poetry contests going forward will include the new suggestions. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    rem, matwoolf, LinnyV and 1 other person like this.
  2. gibble410

gibble410 Active Member

I am for:
    Publication book for winner
    Removal of worded
    theme
    Shortened time
    2 at once

rem and cydney like this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose Active Member

I have a suspicion that nothing is going to get that many , i'd suggest reducing to 10 or even lower

4. theoriginalmonsterman

Yeah, may change that in a bit XD

gibble410 likes this.
  5. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Staff Supporter Contributor

We set up a "banner" linking to this thread to give it some more attention, and hopefully more votes. :)

LinnyV and theoriginalmonsterman like this.
  6. LinnyV

LinnyV Contributing Member

Seriously @theoriginalmonsterman - I was only thinking of a couple of ridiculous Asimov limericks at the time! Not Shakespeare... :eek: You gotta stop crediting me with things, I'm pretty certain my name is like kryptonite here! I joke. I'll stick this into the poetry thread I started a while ago too. Not that it will neccessarily generate activity or get you to 15!
    A bit like your Unicorn...

rem likes this.
  7. LinnyV

And dammit @theoriginalmonsterman - Marketing!! "Author specific" contests will make everyone fall asleep. :sleepy:

I vote we call it:

Steal from Be Inspired by Famous Poetry Competition :ninja:

8. theoriginalmonsterman

Thanks Komp, should help boost the amount of votes this poll gets hopefully. :confuzled:

I don't see too much point in saying that. While I do admit the title is a bit bland I wasn't aiming to make all these things sound spectacular. Also I wouldn't consider it stealing when it's more imitating. Steal is a pretty strong word and I don't really want to associate with the poetry contests since it can easily relate to plagiarism which is something we do not support here on the forums.

A title change will be made if it is implemented, but for now I'm just going to leave it as it is. :p

LinnyV likes this.
  9. LinnyV

I concede you are right. Plagiarism is a no. My evil side got the better of me.... we can't use imitate! According to Eliot that makes us amateurs! Let me update the other thread.

Edit: I've updated my suggestion to be in line with WF ethical standards. :)

theoriginalmonsterman likes this.
  10. theoriginalmonsterman

I have gone ahead to change the amount of votes required for a suggestion to be implemented from 15 to 10 seeing how there's only 2 days left of voting and only one suggestion has gained over 10 votes so far.

cydney and rem like this.
  11. rem

rem Member

Hear, hear!

12. cydney

cydney Banned

Has the contest started yet? :supertongue: I was thinking I might want to enter it. But I don't know how & I'm really nervous about it. Are there rules for new, inactive members?

13. theoriginalmonsterman

The rules are fairly simple, and new comers are allowed to post their own entries for the contest as well.

How it works is each contest will include a theme, and you will be given roughly 2 weeks to write a poem that goes by that theme some how.

You are responsible for correcting your own grammar, and format.

All posts will remain anonymous until voting is over.

Depending on which of these suggestions are added could change how the contests work entirely, so I will make a post concerning the new poetry rules and such once this voting is over.

cydney likes this.
  14. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Staff Supporter Contributor

Good to see that you got a pretty decent voter turn-out. :bigsmile: :agreed:

Fernando.C and cydney like this.
  15. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Active Member

Lots of votes already, that's good:D. Four suggestions have already surpassed the minimum vote criteria. I just wish the audio theme suggestion got more votes, it's a great idea and can make for some interesting contests.

16. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

I voted for it. :D

17. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Active Member

Awesome. Now if we could only get five more votes for it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.