1. mattattack007

mattattack007 New Member

The Dresden Files

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by mattattack007, Feb 3, 2009.

I've been reading the series "The Dresden Files" for about two years and I find it a very good modern fantasy. Check it out when you get the chance!

2. Bob Magness

Bob Magness New Member

I agree. I am currently half way through the 10th book in the series. I have enjoyed all of them. There is a good mix of main characters and they are all well developed. And the main character, Harry, is wonderfully flawed. The only wizard in the Yellow Pages. Jim Butcher isn’t going to win a Pulitzer anytime soon for his writing, but he writes fun enjoyable stories that even get a little weighty at times. I’ll keep reading them as long as he keeps cranking them out. But don't let the magic theme fool you, these are not for children.

3. Ion

Ion New Member

Dresden Files

Anybody else here keeping up with the series?

4. Arathald

Arathald New Member

Yeah, I finished Changes sometime last year. I can't wait for Ghost Story. I think my favorite part of the series is Jim Butcher's sense of humor, which he passes along to Dresden.

5. Darkjester79

Darkjester79 Member

Great series! Have you read Aftermath in Side Jobs?

6. Ion

Ion New Member

I've read all the books and all the short stories--I got a hold of Side Jobs after I read a short story in an urban fantasy collection.

I'm really excited for Ghost Story, seeing as Jim Butcher said he wanted to re-establish Bob as Dresden's main sidekick. He hasn't been getting much face time with the craziness in recent books.

Plus, I'm looking forward to Harry ruining (or improving) the moment he reunites with his Chicago family with some quote from Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.

7. Darkjester79

Darkjester79 Member

Ghost Story is going to be interesting. I just hate the wait speculating as to what's going to happen to Harry.

8. Chudz

Chudz New Member

I read the first book and watched the short-lived series on television. I found it to tie in nicely with how I like to write. Definitely someone to aspire to.

9. Darkjester79

Darkjester79 Member

The television series DOES NOT do the books any justice. Its ok but it really is a far cry from the books.

10. Ion

Ion New Member

If you haven't read the books, I advise you watch the television series and enjoy it for what it is. After you read the books though, the show becomes unwatchable.

The strength of the series is how each book builds on the one before it. Every person you meet comes up later, and you get to watch characters grow and change by a huge amount since there's a spacing of about a year between each story. By the end of Changes, you've got a humongous cast of characters that you've been with for a long time and know on a very personal level.

The full effect of it really starts to hit you at about book 4, Summer Knight. That's when your knowledge of the world (or at least the main points) becomes pretty much even with that of the main character's.

11. Arathald

Arathald New Member

I just read through Jim Butcher's livejournal, and it has some great tips on putting stories together (It's similar to Techniques of the Selling Writer by Dwight V. Swain, which makes a lot of sense, since Swain taught at the University of Oklahoma, where Butcher received his professional writing education).

I just discovered that he's is going to be at a convention near me sometime next month. I would love to meet him.

12. Ion

Ion New Member

You should. He's a real encouragement to starting writers.

13. Velox

Velox Member

I currently have only read Storm Front, though I have all the others except Changes and, obviously, Ghost Story. I hope to read through all of them some time in the near future. Definitely my favorite urban-fantasy series. I just love Dresden's character.

@ Ion ~ Yeah, I watched Storm Front after reading the book...let's just say I don't want to watch another episode. =P Book was much, much better.

14. The Crazy Kakoos

The Crazy Kakoos New Member

Has anyone else read this series? It is one of my favorites. The supernatural and the real world are blended very well which also helps create some very funny comic relief moments.

What do youvall think of this series?

15. thrawnking

thrawnking New Member

I have read all of the series and I find it to be very good. I didn't like Ghost Story as much but I cant wait for Cold Days to come out. The one thing that Jim excels at is making good villains. Thats why i didn't like Ghost Story as much, i just didn't like the antagonist as much.

16. Dresden260

Dresden260 Corrupt Diplomat

Sitting by a Fountain, Watching the world go by.
    How Dare you people talk about me without my Permission!.... Joking. I thoroughly enjoy The series because it seems to offer a humor not easily found in other books of the genre.

17. Rose Hunt

Rose Hunt Member

I just went to Butcher's website and read a little story. It was interesting. :) I think I will check out this series. Seems a good way to spend time.

18. crashnburn

crashnburn New Member

im a dresden addict, and Im having withdrawls as I wait for Cold days. If you havent yet, you should read his codex alera series

19. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

I read them all I'm waiting for Cold Days impatiently.

20. Jack Dawkins

Jack Dawkins New Member

I have read a few of them for a change from what I generally read and found the genre fascinating. I also went down to the local library and got a few of them on tape to listen to while I was in the car. I enjoyed that more then the mindless morning programing.

21. Monger

Monger New Member

I absolutely adore The Dresden Files. The universe Butcher created for the series is so engrossing - the vampire courts, the faerie courts, all of the different factions.

Harry Dresden is one of the most remarkable protagonists I`ve ever encountered in any book. So far, I`ve read and enjoyed each book. And the great news is - there are plenty more to follow.

The TV series however... well, to put it bluntly, it was a shambles. In my opinion, it was unwatchable. I was watching a QnA session with Jim Butcher on youtube and he basically said as much himself. But the good news is, hes gotten the TV rights to the Dresdenverse back from Syfy and isn`t ruling out the possibility of another series, one in which he has more control.

It saddens me that the series isn`t nearly as popular as it deserved to be, but thats not to say there aren`t legions of us waiting anxiously for the next book in the series.

22. Monger

Monger New Member

That would be a remarkable experience. I`ve watched several videos of his QnA sessions, and he`s always so open and forthcoming, not to mention hilarious. I see that your post is a couple years old, so I hope that you did go.

23. Monger

Monger New Member

I plan to pick them up ASAP. At the moment, actually, I`m rereading the Dresden series. It`s every bit as good the second time through.

24. Khaelmin

Khaelmin Active Member

Hah! Other Dresden fans. We finally meet. I've read all of the books in the series. After reading Storm Front I couldn't stop until I bought and devoured them all. I've finished Cold Days about a month ago, and it did not disappoint. I definitely recommend it.

25. Monger

Monger New Member

Indeed. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Cold Days was arguably the best Dresden Novel since Storm Front. Well, in my opinion at least.

Granted, I'm in no way suggesting that any of the many great novels between Storm Front and Cold Days were in any way not great reads, I devoured and loved them all. But I feel that Cold Days is the best, mostly because of the implications the ending (no spoilers) have on the novels to come.