3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  8. The Curse of the Stone Statue

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Closed Voting Voting is CLOSED for Contest #175: "Stones"

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest Archives' started by GingerCoffee, Jun 9, 2015.

Short Story Contest #175
    Theme: "Stones" courtesy of @Lancie

Contest story entries can be found HERE

We have eight entries in this contest. The winner will be revealed in three weeks and the winner thread will be stickied until the next contest's winner is crowned. No more entries are allowed in this contest.

Entries are listed in the poll in the order posted.

Voting ends in ~three weeks, Sunday, June 28th, 2015 ~5:30 pm Pacific Time.

I encourage authors to vote. While it is controversial, it remains acceptable in the short story contest to vote for yourself. I encourage you to vote honestly. In the name of good sportsmanship only vote for yourself if you have read all the other stories and given them your honest evaluation.

Consider how the author has responded to the theme, as well as the quality of the writing and overall impression of the story in making your decision.

Read for pleasure, learning, and to vote.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  2. GingerCoffee

We have eight votes so far, eight stories and eight more days to vote. You can read one story a day! Or, eight more people can vote one each on eight days! Or, it would be awesome wonderful record-breaking delightful incredible fantastic spectacular a miracle if eight people voted on each of the eight days left!

Miracles can happen. :agreed:

Spencer Rose and Ivana like this.
  3. GingerCoffee

Two days more to vote and two people are tied for first place. If you don't usually vote, now is the time to change that routine.
    :read::write:

4. GingerCoffee

Eight stories, eight more hours to vote. Yay, the tie is broken but it's still a close race with the votes somewhat evenly distributed. If you haven't yet voted, your vote could still change the outcome of the contest. :)

5. GingerCoffee

Needless to say, I'm rather shocked by these results. I truly thought @Spencer Rose's prose was far superior to mine. I was convinced it would at least end in a tie if Speaker of the Stones didn't win outright.

All of the voters deserve thanks and appreciation for voting. Considering how satisfying it is to see people vote for one's story, :cheerleader: I hope the voters will continue to take the time to vote for the contest stories.

And with that, I shall ask @Wreybies for my medal for my rather morbid story that actually had roots in real sand crab behavior I observed long ago on some beach I can't recall where my friend and I threw stones for an hour laughing at the hilarious little game of crab-king of the stones. :supershock:

6. Ivana

Ivana Contributing Member

Congrats, @GingerCoffee ! :) Your story was great, I really like your style, although it was a bit morbid to me. :D
    I voted for @Lancie 's story because I think it was written masterfully, with a shocking ending, which I especially appreciate. ;) It seems like I'm already starting to recognize Lancie's style since I was convinced it was he/she who wrote "The Walkers" (there is definitely some chilly effect in those stories)! :)
    But I think "Speaker of the Stones" was really great too, nicely written. Congrats to everyone!

GingerCoffee likes this.
  7. GingerCoffee

The Walkers was also excellent, another story with highly skilled writing. I continue to be impressed with the quality of stories we get in this contest.

8. animenagai

animenagai Member

I voted for @Lancie's too. Damn, that's twice in a row I've voted for her work unknowingly :supershock:.

Congrats @GingerCoffee! lol I can imagine you nervously asking everyone to vote :p. Must've felt amazing!

Ivana likes this.
  9. GingerCoffee

Actually, I've been trying to get more people to vote in every contest.

It is interesting how we tend to pick the same author. I've voted for many of @BeckyJean's stories without knowing they were hers.

10. Ivana

So, even though you manage the contest, you can't see who wrote which story? That's interesting. I was just wandering how that works.

11. GingerCoffee

Nope, I have no idea who the authors are until I remove the anonymizer. I like it that way though. You know people are voting for the story and not the writer.

Ivana likes this.
  12. Lancie

Lancie Contributing Member

Congrats @GingerCoffee, a very deserved win! I like seeing who has written the stories, it's a shame we can't get a drumroll. Another good contest.

Thanks @Ivana and @animenagai :) I've been told my writing style is stabby, never sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

13. Ivana

I agree, it's a fair game. Plus, more fun. :)

14. Spencer Rose

Spencer Rose Member

@GingerCoffee your story was wonderful! I almost didn't enter after reading that first entry! It was horrifying and witty and all around brilliant. Congrats on the win, it was well deserved. :)

GingerCoffee likes this.
  15. bumble bee

bumble bee Member

Yes, well deserved, @GingerCoffee I also voted for you as I thought your story had the most originality (and I like a bit of morbidity!) although I loved @Spencer Rose 's story too. And I had great fun entering my own snippet just for fun :)
    I will keep an eye out for future contests and keep voting in them- keep hassling people to do it ;)

GingerCoffee likes this.
  16. Spencer Rose

Spencer Rose Member

@bumble bee I actually voted for your story! I loved the spin you put on "stones" and the sisterly relationship you wrote about was spot on. Hope to see more of your work in the future! :)

bumble bee and GingerCoffee like this.
  17. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributing Member Contributor

I loved @GingerCoffee 's soo much. @Spencer Rose 's was good too and it was a close call but Ginger's sucked me in and had me biting my fingernails etc so...

GingerCoffee likes this.
  18. GingerCoffee

:bigoops:

This is great, we all liked each other's stories. Even though a couple stories didn't get any votes, there were eight stories. The votes were fairly evenly spread out. Had we had more voters, (I keep trying), I'm certain all the stories would have had votes.

19. bumble bee

bumble bee Member

Thanks @Spencer Rose :bigoops: I have just started writing again after and fifteen year hiatus and I'm finding the site really inspires me to keep at it and keep thinking about it.

Also great to see authors voting for the stories they liked, not just their own- "in the interest of good sportsmanship" as Ginger says :bigsmile:

Waiting for the next competition voting to open so we can keep the ball rolling...

Spencer Rose likes this.
  20. Spencer Rose

Spencer Rose Member

Even though the contest has no physical prize (my little medal is pretty awesome though :love:) it's awesome to see how it inspires so many people in so many different ways to "compete" against one another. It's great to see how a single word can impact people so differently, and the wonderful stories they create from a something so simple.

I don't know about the rest of you, but seeing great stories always makes me want to write better myself and the contests are helping me do just that; forcing me to do better and better and raise the bar on my personal standards.

I hope to see more voting in the future, because I think the contests are wonderful. :3

Lancie, bumble bee and GingerCoffee like this.