1. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

The Pokémon Thread (Really? Yes!)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheHedgehog, Oct 18, 2009.

EDIT: If you could be a Pokemon, what would you be?

I wanna be the very best
    Like noone ever was
    To catch them is my real test
    To train them is my cause
    I will travel across the land
    Searching far and wide
    Each Pokemon to understand
    The power that's inside.

The above was the Pokemon theme song from Season 1, to my knowledge.

The Lounge clearly stated:
    For talk of just about anything not arts related. Politics, life, whatever.

So I thought, why not talk about Pokemon? It's one of the most recognized franchises in the world (at least in the USA). They have great music (as you just witnessed). I see kids playing it all the time on their Nintendo DS's, and when I was a kid myself, I played Pokemon FireRed on my Gameboy Advance.

This is mainly here for nostalgic purposes, and if anyone wants to discuss Pokemon, be my guest!

My favorite pokemon personally is Blastoise, the giant blue turtle with cannons coming from its back. I like the first 150 or so pokemon in the original series, because the series then just complicated and overworked after the first few seasons, and all the pokemon did was get uglier.

So... thoughts? :D

2. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    *Siiigh*

I remember when Pokémon was very first shown on TV -Me and my bro got up really early to see it one saturday morning. I remember everyone going crazy over the playing cards and gameboy colour games. I remember being excited about the movie. I remember buying a lever arch folder and covering it in glittery paper and pokémon stickers, and having those pockets to collect the cards in.

Those were the days. I loved Pokémon. I wonder if I still have that Charizard golden tablet thingy that they gave out inside a Pokéball at burgerking.....hah.

3. St.Ephen

St.Ephen Member

I never played pokemon.:D

4. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I love PokeMon.

My favorites were ponyta, bulbasaur, or evee. :)

5. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I loved Pokemon Mystery Dungeon when I played it. Got all the way to the end, too. :D The end made me cry a little bit.

6. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

I had a Charizard when I was in year 6 (when I was 10-11). I took it to school one day. It got nicked out of my lunchbox.

I wasn't happy.

7. Fox Favinger

Fox Favinger New Member

Man, the Pokemon games for Game Boy and Game Boy Color will always be considered by me as some of the greatest RPGs of all time, and yes I have beaten Phantasy Star I & II and Chrono Trigger (don't mention FF, I hate those games). Everything else though got stale way too fast. I got into them after the craze so I was a bit old for it, but it was still good stuff.

I still have the original 150 Pokemon drilled into my brain, and I still have my Red/Blue official strategy guide lol. Since my Game Boy games got jacked I think I'll order up Red on Ebay. The carts go for like 10 bucks and I still have the original cases. Cardboard is too valuable to throw out :lol:

8. Azhigher

Azhigher Active Member

Awesome games. Red/Blue were epic. After that... downhill.

Blastoise is totally the best. Water to take out fire and ice to take out that leaf stuff. He had it all!!

9. Twisted Inversely

Twisted Inversely New Member

My imagination. But I drop by the real world for m
    I loved Pokemon as a kid, most people I know did. Nowadays the cartoons themselves don't hold any appeal any more. The games however are still great fun to play, I admit I still sometimes dig out my old Gameboy and give old Red version a burl.

I know off site links are frowned upon...

10. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

Pokémon... the cartoons are like visual Vallium to me, sorry guys.

But (yes there's a but) I think the new serise' are a lot better then the old ones. I still think Pikatu, Evee and Charazard are the best. LMAO at Charazard, he's funny. lol. But (yes theres another but) I also used to play the games on my neon green GB Colour. FireRed was by far my fav' one.

11. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Oh wow, Pokemon, it was all over the junior school I worked in 1997-99 like a rash--the kids took their cards into the playground, art lessons were filled with detailed pictures of every evolution, compositions were written, we couldn't escape them anywhere.
    The Director, a boot-faced old cow if there ever was one, attempted to ban mention of P****** with no success. The 18-20 age group I teach now always has something to say about Pokemon, it's really part of that generation's childhood.

12. Shinsoku

Shinsoku New Member

I have an awesome Pokemon deck, just sayin'

My favorite Pokemanz is Wobbuffet, because he's Legendary and not afraid of anything

13. Lydibug

Lydibug New Member

I loved pokémon, and still do (sort of)
    The orginals were by far the best, I had every one and used to play with my Mum, so I was the pokemon master! I still remember going into to school and wearing it like a badge of honour. Another great thing I remember was the Coffee Man in Viridian (I think) and Team Rocket!!!
    I've recently bought platinum, but the graphics have chaged :)eek:) not to my liking either, and I find Emerald/Sapphire The best so far!
    My favourite pokemon: Zapdos, for his sheer coolness.

14. TheHedgehog

I have to agree with everyone in one way or another. FireRed is the only version I've ever played, but I'm sure the originals ARE the best, as the originals usually are. Even though the main driving force of the game is pitting animals against each other for battle, Pokemon is a game where there's nothing like it, and there probably won't be anything like it again. Blastoise ftw. :D Although, Jolteon, Nidoking, Arcanine, Scyther, Nidoking, and probably Snorlax are all tied for my second favorites. :3

That sparks a question...

If you could be a Pokemon, what would you be?

15. TheHedgehog

I have to agree with everyone in one way or another. FireRed is the only version I've ever played, but I'm sure the originals ARE the best, as the originals usually are. Even though the main driving force of the game is pitting animals against each other for battle, Pokemon is a game where there's nothing like it, and there probably won't be anything like it again. Blastoise ftw. :D Although, Jolteon, Nidoking, Arcanine, Scyther, Nidoking, and probably Snorlax are all tied for my second favorites. :3

That sparks a question...

If you could be a Pokemon, what would you be?

16. Fox Favinger

Fox Favinger New Member

If all the animals in the game are Pokemon and people are animals couldn't you capture humans with pokeballs?

Me and my friends we just joking about this lol here's what he said "Yes you can! They just haven't realized that yet. It'd be too dangerous to let anyone know."

At the next presidential we should capture the candidates and make them fight!
    "Ralph Nader I choose you! Use Thunderbolt!" "Dammit Obama's immune to paralysis!"

17. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

Ah the nostalgia! It was truly one of my favorite games and TV shows. I still have a faint glint of my original team in Blue version....Blastoise, Haunter, Snorelax, Pigeotto or Farfetched, Graveler, and I believe Zapdos. Childhood, where has it gone?

18. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Ah, Pokemon. :D
    As you said before, the cartoon has lost all of its appeal to me (seriously, poor Team Rocket! How many times have they been sent flying away?), but sometimes I take my brother's DS to play some PKMN. Anyway, my favorite one is Lucario (from the latest wave).

19. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Me and a buddy always got opposite versions from each other ever since the first ones came out. Even now that we're in our twenties we still get the new ones. (I mean the

I got Red, Silver, Sapphire, Fire Red, Pearl.

He got Blue, Gold, Ruby, Leaf Green, Diamond.

My favorite Pokemon was Zapdos, the wicked cool electric type Legendary bird. (He was actually my favorite before I even knew he was legendary. I just liked his look.)

I think I can still remember my first party in the Red version.

Charizard, Zapdos, Raichu, Mewtwo, Articuno, Onix. (I think that was right)

Anyway, does anyone ever remember all the bogus cheat codes to find mew (and other rare Pokemon) in the original games?

I.E., beat the Elite 4 100 times, fly to Pallet Town, then Cerulean City, then back to Pallet town. Go talk to your rival's sister, then exit her house and walk around it clockwise three times. Go to the docks of the S.S. Anne and catch three Magikarp. Surf to the abandoned truck and use strength to push it out of the way. Mew will be in a Poke ball lying on the ground, etc. etc.

Man I tried so many fake codes, even though I knew in my heart they were fake, I still tried them- JUST IN CASE! ;)

Ah, nostalgia...

20. Fox Favinger

Fox Favinger New Member

Two words to get Mew, Game Shark.

That was the soul reason everyone I know bought it. lol

I think my last line up in Red was, Dragonite (who was useless against the first of the elite 4!!), Zapedos (damned good pk), Blastious, Bulbasour's third stage (can't remember name), Mr. Grim (I think), and Nidoking (aptly nicknamed Superbeast). I never did beat the elite 4 in my second play through. My first play through was over ten years ago so I don't remember a thing lol

Since my cart got stolen again I'm thinking just putting the rom on my PSP. Don't call me out for committing a crime I bought the game twice!

21. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]

I loved the games for gameboy. Though I always found it annoying that I never felt compelled to level anything other then my main(almost always Charazard) Didn't have a whole lot of friends to fight against so still didn't need much leveling. Even still it annoyed me that by the time I got to the first gym leader in G/S/C my pokemon took down just about anything. But I still had fun. :D

Also I was obsessed with the cards. Now they are just lying around in some box. Though I can't get myself to throw them away. Even the lousy energy ones. Though I don't think I will ever get rid of my beloved Charazard cards. NEVER!!!

22. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

My friend changes the alarm tone on my phone (unbeknownst to me) to the pokemon theme. So this morning 'I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was...' woke me up.

Most. Epic. Wake. Up. Ever!! :D

23. TheHedgehog

I believe the my FireRed team was

Blastosie (my starter; how amazing is a blue turtle with cannons in its back?)

Arcanine (the giant flaming wolf...dog...lion... thing)

Joleteon (that electric fox/cat animal. Really fast.)

Aerodactyl (My land before time friend -- pretty much a great sweeper.)

Hypno (If a Simpson were a pokemon, it'd be Hypno.)

Nidoking (I don't even know what it is, it's just capable of really messing you up. o.o)

24. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

New challenge!!

Find the pokemon (preferably from the original 150, but it can be from whatever) that is MOST like you! and then set it as your avatar, to look cool. :)

EDIT: I choose bulbasaur, because she is really stubborn, kind of easily confused, but still sweet and will please the people she likes.

25. TheHedgehog

Very appealing, I must say! I'm on it!