1. Vrisnem

Vrisnem Member

Vrisnem | Charlie's Story Re-draft Progress

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Vrisnem, May 25, 2016.

Charlie's Story
    Draft: #2 | Genre: YA | Goal: 80-110k

I've been struggling to find any desire to write for a while now. However, last night I decided to commit to re-drafting a story I abandoned seven years ago. I was around 180,000 words in and just four chapters (of eighty-something) from the end when I accidentally threw out my outline. I couldn't remember everything I needed to do to wrap up the story. In my attempt to work it out I realised the story was a disaster. I gave up on it. Every few months the urge to work on it would rear it's head and I would try my hardest to ignore it. It took me until last night to decide that, 'no, there is something here worth writing about'. But it needs work. A lot of work.

I wrote the first 2,504 words on the second draft last night and so far feeling good. The original was titled Taboo, but it won't really fit after the changes I make. So for now I'll just refer to it as Charlie's Story. My goal for this draft is 80,000-110,000 words.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. Vrisnem

Vrisnem Member

Wrote 1,610 words yesterday. The original felt very cluttered in terms of characters but my protagonist is on a football (soccer) team so it only makes sense. This time I've picked out a couple of key characters (his best friend, his captain, and a guy who particularly dislikes him) to focus on rather than having him form close friendships with all of them.