Waiting to Refer to a Character by Name...?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MissPomegranate, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Lothgar

Lothgar New Member

*Gives Elgaisma a "Lothgar Fan Club" membership card and the official "I *HEART* Lothgar T-Shirt* :D

Its nice to be luved ;)

2. MissPomegranate

MissPomegranate New Member

I think that's why it was turning out weird...I kept trying to find a way to introduce her full name, which sounded a little bit forced. Heh, I feel kinda silly now...

Though for some characters, I sort of want the reader to meet them as the MC meets them, so I don't want to introduce their names immediately. Is that a valid enough reason, or should I just go ahead and name them right away too?

(sorry I keep asking questions, I'm only on the first chapter of this story but I really want to finish it!)

3. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    It won't be right first time anyway, so just go ahead and finish it. Then go back and see whether what you've done with names works or not. Change it if it doesn't. Change it even if it does, to see whether the changed version is even better. When you've done changing, choose the best. Seriously. It may turn out better that this character remains the slim guy in the check jacket, that character remains the smiling brunette. Just write it, and don't get hung up on that sort of detail until the editing stage. And look up some exercises on silencing your inner critic.

4. KittyGoesRawr

KittyGoesRawr New Member

It's not annoying...if you do it right! If you're mysterious about it, introduce this awesome character, who does this, this, & this, then readers will be interested in the character, and it'll keep them guessing, and make them want to know more about the character! And the first thing you wanna know about someone usually..what do we call them?

Pertaining to your example, in conversation, usually people refer to each other when speaking to each other.

"/joke."
    "Awh, Apple! You're so silly!"

But if you're talking about the character, you are allowed to refer to them by name. "Paige, however, didn't approve of her sister's attitude toward the topic of drug use. She disapproved of Ali's rudeness."

=/ Sorry if that sounded smart-alec-like. I wasn't trying to be.

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Maybe I am just an unusual reader but unless I have a name and basic vibe about who the character is I am not prepared to waste time on them. I don't even like flash fiction or short stories where I can't invest in a character.

I also don't like stories that mess about and don't jump into the action there is nothing worse than reading 150 pages of a murder mystery and not having a murder yet etc

6. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Even if the 150 pages are really interesting and well-written?

7. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

yup, I can't remember who did it, it was one of my favourite authors. The only reason I read the whole book was because the author had earned some forgiveness. It's kind of like where the heck is the story? I've invested two hours in this where has it gone. If I buy a murder mystery I expect a murder and some mystery surrounding it.

I can live with a woolly middle but boring beginning and I won't bother with the rest of the book or I will skip pages and start reading it from the middle. Like with the name thing I am not afraid to edit a book to fit my reading style.