Tags:
  1. online.education

online.education New Member

War and Peace

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by online.education, Jul 22, 2007.

I tried to read this a couple of months ago, but I barely passed page 100. I was totally lost at that point and decided to give up this time. I'd like to try reading this novel again, but how should I approach? Also those of you who read this, what did you think about it? How did you manage to finish reading it?

2. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

I think it depends what books you normally read I imagine if you read modern novels then it will seem quite difficult. I found that myself with the great volume amount of characters - especially hard to keep track of as some disappear for about 200 pages before reappearing.
    I got half way through and stopped but i'm going to take it up again. I did enjoy it, but it was quite a heavy read in moments.

3. online.education

online.education New Member

I read a few lengthy classic novels like ...

Count of Monte Cristo
    Les Misérables and
    Crime and Punishment.

But I find it much more difficult to read War and Peace than any of these novels ...

4. powertodream

powertodream New Member

I did manage to finish it, after about three years. The problem with it is that it is exciting and mind-numbingly tedious in equal amounts throughout the book. So, you read a really good bit and then you hit a really slow bit and you lose it, and then you have to start all over again.

5. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

I'm finding Anna Karenina a much more engaging book

6. Suzanne

Suzanne New Member

It's on myself waiting for me... I started Tolstoy's AK but never finished it (It needs to be on myself waiting for me!) but lately I've found that I like Dostoevsky (How did you like C&P by the way?) more than Tolstoy, or at least so that, I'd much rather concentrate my efforts into reading the former, rather than the latter. If that made sense.

7. Jerome

Jerome New Member

I also have the book war and peace.
    I tried to read but I've not finished the first 50 pages.
    Cause I think I'm not familiar with that peirod of history.

I'd rather pick a interesting one.