Wayfarer's Tavern

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Ok, that's my "inappropriate moment" for this week. :whistle:

2. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

IEGL?

3. Wreybies

Sorry, spelled it wrong. NEGL. Not even gonna' lie. ;)

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Gotta love law students. This guy got a bad grade on his paper, and his argument was that the professor was infringing on his right to be stupid. :D

5. Wreybies

One would think that a poor grade, which would mean fewer future net opportunities for growth and enrichment of the student, would in fact be supporting, not infringing on the student's right to stupidity.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

There should be a law against that.

7. PensiveQuill

PensiveQuill Senior Member

Okay, so I engage in little acts of alchemy occassionally. I've been experimenting with perfumes made from natural essences as research for my fantasy novel and I've come up with a cracker. I made a leather perfume. A complex mix of birch tar, vetiver, patchouli, mandarin, jasmine, rose, cedar, thyme and a few other little bits and pieces. It's been sitting for 4 months curing. I've dabbed a bit on my neck....heaven. Pure boot leather from the 18th Century.

Proud? Why yes I am.

8. Wreybies

Actually, that sounds appealing. :) Gay guys would love this! (no joke) :)

9. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

But do you smell like boots now? Add a dab of maneure and hay, and that's my "perfume" more often than I care to count.:dry:

10. PensiveQuill

Lol. Yeah I'm a big fan of strong animalic scents too. No polite rose gardens for me.

11. PensiveQuill

Are you a vet? Minus the manure but I'll take the hay. Ooh! I hadn't thought of adding tobacco to this, but that's an excellent idea.

I just have a fetish for heavy leather smells, luggage and boots rather than say kid gloves. It was an experiment in ancient tanning techniques, the scent of leather as we know it actually comes from the herbals and aromatics that the tanned leather was doused in to cover the scent of urine and other unmentionables that were used to tan the hide. So our olfactory associations of the metallic birch tar (used in Russian tanning) mixed with florals and citrus comes from the practice of perfuming the goods rather than the goods themselves.

Just another foray into my random hobbies.

12. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I thought the smell of leather came from the urine that ancient people used to tan their hides with. That's not a suggestion for your next batch. :rofl:

Next round of experiments should be maple bacon perfume that is totally animal free. Good luck, we are all counting on you. :agreed:

13. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Why do I smile when "Come On Eileen" un-expectantly blasts out of my radio? Always does it...

14. Wreybies

Holy shit. Here I thought we'd lost your wee arse to the glitz and glam of California. :whistle:

15. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm afraid you are about to lose my 'wee arse' to the realm of William Shakespeare. ;) I've found a site that lists all of his plays and I'm currently reading Pericles, Prince of Tyre. :D Might even make a discussion thread out of that in the book discussion section once I'm done.

16. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

It's been one crazy mofo year mon ami, a year where I've barely had time to write a shopping list... Good to see some old friends still about!

Trish and Lewdog like this.
  17. Wreybies

Yes, life will do that. You would think if there were a god he might at least have given us a little thorazine in the atmosphere, aye? ;)

18. Lewdog

[​IMG]

Lemex likes this.
  19. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I've been reading Doctor Sleep by Stephen King all afternoon, complete with two cups of coffee, Mr. Squirrel. :D In no way will this make me stay up late, or have nightmares. When I'm done with Doctor Sleep, I might post about it in the Books Discussion section.

20. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I just saw the funniest thing I've seen in a week.

For some dumb reason, I didn't feel like cooking tonight, and I went out to Taco Bell. I was at the drive through behind maybe the stupidest woman I've ever encountered. I had my window open so I could hear everything she was saying. She had a huge list of stuff she wanted, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't aware of which fast-food joint she was actually at. She kept asking for things Taco Bell doesn't have, and the employee taking the order was clearly getting exasperated. Time after time, the customer would ask for something and the employee would say, "I'm sorry, we don't have that."

It took maybe six or seven minutes to get the whole order through, with the employee sounding more and more annoyed. Finally, there was this amazing exchange:

Employee: Is that everything?
    Customer: Oh, I'd also like a raspberry iced tea.
    Employee (clearly facepalming): We don't HAVE raspberry iced tea!
    Customer: Okay, a LARGE raspberry iced tea!
    Employee (facepalming again): We don't have ANY raspberry iced tea!

I could not stop laughing for several minutes. :rofl:

KaTrian and Lemex like this.
  21. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Oh my god, I've just got my time table. :D This MA is real, I'm actually doing this. :D

KaTrian, minstrel and thirdwind like this.
  22. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

@minstrel

I have to admit I've been that AH who purposely asks for everthing not on the menu just to bug the worker - reminds of the broccoli joke - I'm sure you've all heard it - if not here goes... The shop assistant is fixing carrots when a woman taps him on the shoulder and says "Excuse me Sir, but where do you keep the broccoli?" The man replies "Well ma'am we're out of broccoli today, but we get some more tomorrow so come back then." The woman nods and walks away while the grocer continues stocking the carrots. A few minutes later the same woman taps the grocer on the shoulder and asks "Sir, I was wondering where I could find the broccoli?" Confused, the grocer says "Well ma'am we are out of broccoli today. However, we will have more tomorrow morning. Come back tomorrow." The woman smiles and thanks him as she walks away. Shaking his head, the grocer turns his attention back to the carrots. Moments later the woman again taps him on the shoulder and asks "Pardon me, but do you know where the broccoli is?" The grocer looks at her angrily and says "Let me ask you something. How do you spell dog, like in dogmatic?" The woman replies "D-O-G" "Okay" says the grocer. "Now how do you spell cat, as in catatonic?" "C-A-T" says the woman. "Perfect" the grocer replies. "Now how do you spell fuck, like in broccoli?" Confused, the woman says "But, there is no fuck in broccoli." The grocer says "THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO TELL YA LADY! THERE'S NO FUCKIN' BROCCOLI!"

minstrel and Lewdog like this.
  23. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

From time to time, when the associate at my favorite pizza shop asks what I want on my pizza, I'll answer, "I would like an anchovy pizza. But you don't ffer that, so I'll settle for XXX."

My logic is that if they get enough requests for anchovy topping, maybe they will eventually make it available.

Not as funny, true, but there IS sometimes good reason for asking for something not on the menu. Especially if it's requested in a way that will be REMEMBERED!

24. Lewdog

25. Lewdog

you know a group of jelly fish is called a smack? A group of ferrets is a business, and a group of hippos is a bloat. Who comes up with this stuff?